New Lounger
    Thanks

Julian Date Question (2000 SR1)

I have a question with properly formatting a julian date in the military format, i.e.

Microsoft template Julian date: 03001 = 1 Oct 2003
    Military Julian date: 3001 = 1 Oct 2003

Thanks Rob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Julian Date Question (2000 SR1)

Can you explain for the non-military what the relationship between 3001 and 1 Oct 2003 is, and what is input and what you want as output?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW: The MSKB has a pretty good article on the subject of Julian dates (number http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;209922 ). The article shows you how to write code for converting Julian to normal and vice-versa. If you haven't already read this article, you might be interested in its discussion of formal vs. informal Julian dates (you're using an informal) and the discussion of why the four-digit Julian date is not always a good choice. I have a military background myself, and I know the U.S. military typically uses a four-digit version. I suppose the Army and Navy assume the user knows which decade and century we're living in, so...why bother with a fourth digit? Hope this helps a little, Corpsman.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The relationship between the dates used in the military format of the julian date is a one digit numeric year followed by a three digit day of the year. It is really only valid for 10 years, however it fits easily within the other programs that we use. Hope this helps.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In your original post, you stated 3001 = 1 Oct 2003. So the 3 in 3001 is the year. But how does 001 connect with the first of October?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lucas,

This is a great help however i am not entally making the leap to use a one digit year instead of the defaulted 2 year, any ideas?

Rob

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, Rob, but maybe I don't follow exactly what you're trying to do. Can you share a few details to show exactly how you're going to use this bit of information. By the way, I spent 27 years in the U.S. Army, and I understand the military's concept of a Julian date (the four-digit variety); but I rarely worked with such dates. What is your understanding of the five-digit version? Where did you find the Microsoft discussion of 5-digit Julian dates? In Access Help? The Microsoft web site?

By the way, I stumbled across a really handy Julian calendar on the University of Rochester (NY) web site (http://www.dcs.rochester.edu/CALENDA..._jcalendar.htm ).

One more thing: the Julian date for 1 Oct 03 would be 3274...right? (See Hans's question above.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Based on Lucas' remarks, I would say that the following expressions do what you want:

Right(Year([MyDate]), 1) & Format(Format([MyDate], "y"), "000")
    or
    (Year([MyDate]) Mod 10) & Format(Format([MyDate], "y"), "000")

where MyDate is a date/time field or control.