Thread: AutoOpen on Mac

Lounger
    Thanks

AutoOpen on Mac

On my Web site I have a link to a Word document that has a macro named AutoOpen. When you click the link in IE, the file opens and the macro runs. That is exactly what I had intended. It works fine in Windows.

There are Mac users that need to visit the site. On a Mac, when you click the link, the Download Manager copies the file to the Desktop. I had expected that. When you press the control key, click the link, and choose Open Link in New Window from the menu, the file opens but the AutoOpen macro does not run. I have tried the other options in the menu. I have tried pressing the option key and clicking the link, but that will only copy the file to the Desktop.

Does anyone know how to get AutoOpen to work the same way on a Mac as it does in Windows? Could it be a security issue? The site was added to the list of trusted sites, but that didn't help.

Thanks.

Jerry

Thanks

Re: AutoOpen on Mac

I think you find that whether Word runs Auto macros from Internet Explorer is highly configuration-dependent even on Windows. If you change the set-up from opening in the browser window to opening in the application (Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options...>File Types>DOC>Uncheck Browse in same window) then the auto macros don't run. This has presented difficulties for those implementing SharePoint server and other intranet-based applications, because you can't get the ideal behavior either way.

I'm not sure of the recommended implementation for the Mac.

References:
    <UL><LI>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 220532 - WD2000: AutoOpen Macro Fails to Run Opening Document in Browser

<LI>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 162059 - How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer[/list]Sorry I can't help more.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoOpen on Mac

Thanks. Now I have a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Jerry