3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Addin accessing Doc modules and the other way too (2000/Sr1)

I have a word dot and a word addin with both having VBA code. I want to be able to get the value of a variable in either, such as from the dot I want to be able to get the value of a variable in the Addin or the Addin get a value from a variable in the dot. I also wish to access a function or sub in either from the other. How?

Thanks

Re: Addin accessing Doc modules and the other way too (2000/Sr1)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 24-Jun-03 17:15. Added the second point.)</P>When you say "variable," do you mean a document variable or a VBA variable? Each would present its own challenges.....

Regarding procedures in other projects, see: Re: Calling procedure in another template (XP)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think I would be accessing VBA variables and would be able to get access to Doucument variable indirectly that way such as a document name. For example in the Addin I would access the application's fullname by first placing it in a VBA variable named "fullname":
    fullname = Application.FullName

And then access it from the template code and vice versa.

Thanks

I should have been more specific. Word allows you to store variables in a document; these are known as document variables or docvars. These are distinct from properties of that document such as its name.

Can you explain in more detail what you're trying to do? Generally speaking, VBA variables cease to exist once the code has run to completion. There are some exceptions because VB is not completely consistent about how it cleans up after itself, but it would not be 100% reliable to trust that the fullname variable in your example retains its value when accessed later by a different procedure.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

if you create a public vba variable in an addin, you can access it from another document if that document (or template) contains a reference to the addin. the addin public vba variable will retain its value during the entire word session. however, there are some known bugs that reset public variables. if you work with userforms and error handling code (or the lack thereof)) you might run into trouble.

the other way round you can have access from your addin to other document's variables the same way. in this case you need to late bind to the document and all variables need to be in the thisdocument class module.

e.g.
    Dim x As Object
    'late bind to document 2
    Set x = Documents(2)
    'access variable (or property, or method) called testje
    'in the thisdocument class module
    MsgBox x.testje

but i concur with Jefferson, explain us what you are trying to do and we might find a better way.