2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TabStrip Control (VB6)

Hi all,
    I have created a TabStrip control that has four tabs on it. I can access the first tab no problems to make changes, but I can't get to the three tabs behind it to make changes. Does anyone know where my problem is? Also does anyone have any tips or things to be aware of when using the TabStrip control?
    Thanks in advance.

Bill

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TabStrip Control (VB6)

hi Bill,

your post seems to indicate you're confusing between the tabstrip control and a multipage control. a tabstrip control is just what it says it is, a strip containing only tabs, you cannot put other controls like textboxes and other onto a tabstrip. If you use a tabstrip, all tabs share the same controls (which are in fact on the form itself) and you programmatically switch the content of those controls according to the tab that has been clicked, whereas you're using a multipage control, each page must have different controls.

as an example, suppose you were programming a calendar, and for each day of the week, you have a different tab.
    if you were using the tabstrib, you would only have ONE label (which would be on the form itself, the tabstrip is only used to hold the tabs and nothing more), which you would programmatically control to show the day of the week as the user clicks on a tab
    if you were using a multipage control, you would have SEVEN labels INSIDE the multipage (not the form), and you could set their caption already at design time to the seven days of the week, then when the user clicks on a tab, the form simply switches to the according page showing the labe with the name of the day that you set at design time.

(i am assuming the tabstrip and multipage controls for VBA userforms and VB forms are very similar, because i don't have vb to check)

HTH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pieter,
    You are correct. I stuffed up big time. I know how to fix the problem thanks to your help.
    Thanks.

Bill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now I can't find where I get the Multi Page control from. I have looked under Add Components but can't find it. Any ideas?

Thanks heaps.

Bill

Thanks

I use the one in MSForms, which is part of Office and VBA. Not sure what you have in VB proper. Per MS, the MSForms DLL is not redistributable, but can be easily obtained by users (MSKB 224305 - INFO: Usage and Redistribution of FM20.DLL).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Check out the 'Microsoft Tabbed Dialog Control' (tabctl32.ocx) which is multi-page & decent to work with.