New Lounger
    Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England
    Thanks

Highlighting where I am (97 or 2k)

Good afternoon. This question is probably a silly one, but here we go anyway.....

There is a list of contents on a slide, with a number of relevant slides following. Someone has asked me if I can do something along the lines of a link from each slide back to the contents slide, *with the particular section I was viewing highlighted on the list*.

Is this possible? All help gratefully accepted.

James.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Highlighting where I am (97 or 2k)

There are a number of ways this can be accomplished. It depends on your preference and skill level.

An easy way is to simply take the list slide and hyperlink each line of text (bullet) to its correlating slide. On each content slide, create a hyperlink or action button to return to the list slide. Upon returning, all viewed bullets will appear as a different color than the ones you still have to discuss. This is the same purpose as a highlight, as it focuses the audience on the current point in the list.

LennyJo

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that LennyJo. Wouldn't this mean that *all* viewed items on the list would show up as a different colour, rather than just the link to the slide I had returned from?

James.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Right. I gave you the easiest way first.

All of the previously viewed (followed) links would display as a different color (and you can control the colors). So, on a list slide with 6 bullets where you just returned from covering bullet number 4, the first 4 bullets would appear one color and the 2 remaining bullets a different color.

This strategy is similar to the popular effect of "dimming" bullets. That is to change the color of a bullet already covered. When used correctly, it can help the viewer keep up with the speaker.

Another strategy is to create a highlighted list slide for every bullet in the list and one unhighlighted list slide. (6 bullets in the list equals 7 list slides.) Progressively highlight each bullet for 6 of the slides. The unhighlighted list slide is just the list without any embelishment and it is used first. Links are setup on each list slide to jump to the content slides for the bullet's subject. When fininshed covering the content for a bullet, a link is clicked on the last content slide to jump to the list slide with the corresponding bullet highlighted.

So, you click a bullet, cover the content, click a link, and return to the list where that bullet you just covered is highlighted. I think that's what you specifically asked for. The highlighting can be anything from an arrow pointing to a circle or a background box.

FWIW, I would only use such a strategy in a long presentation where the speaker gets in depth on a bullet and remains there for a good bit of time. Also consider an additional link on each of the list slides that jump you past all the listed subjects and to a different set of slides or the conclusion.

LennyJo

Thanks

I usually use the low tech approach of duplicating the re-styling the lists in between sections. This avoids the "hyperlink look," which generally doesn't go with the look of my slides, and avoids confusion. Before printing handouts, I copy the PPT to a new file, and delete all the extra lists to reduce the amount of waste.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

By the way, for that last technique, a "link" doesn't have to be the text hyperlinked. That changes the appearance of text and is not usually desirable. Instead, make shapes over areas and then make those hyperlink (Action Settings). Then make the shapes to be no fill and no line.

LennyJo

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thankyou both very much for your help. The last idea is exactly what I was looking for, but I had struggled with it for so long that I wasn't able to 'think outside the box' (apologies for the jargon, I think it is creeping in from the presentation!).

Thanks again,

James.