Thread: SVCHOST

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SVCHOST

I know therehave been postings about this application fairly recently, but I can't find them without the search facility, so please accept apologies.

My ISP has forced me to update the dialling software on my machine. In reality, what's happened is that they have shifted their allegiance from one company which provided the 'connect to the internet' services to another - so there are lots of underlying changes.
    Since I have been on the new system (=company), Norton internet security periodically warns that SVChost is attempting to access the internet. This never happened with the first company.
    Q1 What is svchost and what function does it perform?
    Q2 Should I allow this access attempt and can anyone guess what it might be doing?

Thanks, loungers.
    Silverback

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: SVCHOST

Check out http://www.igknighttec.com/Windows/W...vchost_exe.php which may answer most of your questions.

Or http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=20609

You also may want to do a search at google and see the other 4,100 entries.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SVCHOST

Thanks for providing those links - and sorry that I didn't think of using Google myself.
    I must confess to still being confused about svchost - I have to find my W2000 CD in order to run tlist, and I haven't done that yet - so I think I'll just keep blocking whatever it is that's trying to access the internet, as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems with anything I'm running. I am therefore going to assume that it's not important.
    Cheers
    Silverback