3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combo box searches (Access 2000)

Ok I am attemping to search on three different combo boxes at once, with the possibility of searching with 1, 2 , or all 3. I know that when I don't search with one the value is null. I asked a similar question to this a few weeks back but I am really confused. Any help would be great! Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo box searches (Access 2000)

>> I am really confused

I am confused too. What is the purpose of this new thread? As you say, you asked this question before, in the thread starting at <post#=265088>post 265088</post#>. You got several replies there, including sample code and a demo database. If something was not clear there (which is nothing to be ashamed of, it happens to us all), you could have posted a new reply providing specific information on what failed and asking specific questions. Starting all over again with a very general question does not seem very useful to me.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok Sorry, I attempted to work with this solution.
    "Leave the Master and Child link fields blank, and use the AfterUpdate events of the combo boxes to modify the RecordSource of the subform (build an SQL statement in code with a Where clause that only includes the fields corresponding to non-empty combo boxes."

I worked with it but it only worked where i could get the one drop down to work, then the 2nd to work seperately, and the 3rd to work seperately.

I couldnt get the combination to work? Help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That was a reply in the beginning of that thread. I posted a demo database (<post#=265308>post 265308</post#>), you tried to use that but created code with some errors in it (<post#=265958>post 265958</post#>); I suggested ways to find out what went wrong (<post#=265978>post 265978</post#>). You never reacted to that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

yeah i guess i got lost in the shuffle of all the posts, sorry no reply, those ideas did not work, not sure that demo seems to be more complex than i am looking for, i am not sure though i am confused about the whole deal to be honest , not sure what to do now, i do appreciate all the help though

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Please forgive me if my tone is a bit sharp in this thread, but how do you expect us to help you if you can't tell us what goes wrong? Loungers can provide examples, look at code that doesn't work, but they don't have a magic wand that will make your database work from a distance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No I understand , I am not expecting you to just fix the problem, I am just frustrated and at a loss for what to do.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, perhaps you could let Loungers have a look at your database:
    <UL><LI>Make a copy of the database and work with that.
    <LI>Remove all database objects that are not relevant to the problem.
    <LI>In the remaining table(s), remove most records - leave only the minimum number necessary to demonstrate the problem.
    <LI>Remove or modify data of a confidential nature.
    <LI>Do a compact and repair (Tools | Database Utilities).
    <LI>Make a zip file containing the database; it should be below 100KB.
    <LI>Attach the zip file to a reply.[/list]Hopefully, somebody can spot the cause of the problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will play with it some more and see, if to no avail i will do that. Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Not wanting to step on toe's here.

The data you are trying to filter, is it from one table or multiple tables ?
    The reason I ask, is I too require to pull data from several tables but they all have the same two critical fields.
    [EstimateNo] & [Supp]

Although usually I pull data from one table at a time, let me explain:

One of my tables is "tblDetails", our whole system runs around the two critical fields as mentioned before but, I always have to find one particular record which contains the correct [EstimateNo] & [Supp]

The reason for this is an [EstimateNo] can be, lets say 15000, now if this estimate has been approved by an Insurer and we find additional damage, we cannot alter the original Estimate, we must supplement from the original, so:

We then have 15000 plus a supplementry number of 1
    You see I have [EstimateNo] = 15000 & [Supp] = 1

An estimate can run into many problems, requiring us to increment the [Supp] ie:-
    15000/0 (Starting Estimate No)
    15000/1 (Additional damage found)
    15000/2 (Additional damage found)
    15000/3 (Additional damage found)

When another fresh estimate is created, we have :

15001/0 and so forth.
    This method has caused many complications within my design efforts, but is important.

With this information stored, if we want to search for a particular estimate, we must search on both the fields and not just the first [Estimate]

Am I making any sense here.

The demo attached, deals with this and is very effective.
    I first created a combo which collects all [EstimateNo] and a second combo which collects all [Supp]
    I call them cmbSearch & cmbSearchSupp. I then change them to a text control using right click "Change To Text" so the user doesn't even know it's a combo, it looks and reacts just like a text field.
    This can also be done using default text's, but it worked for me at the time and stuck with it.

As I said earlier, I don't want to step on toe's but if this is what you were after, maybe you can use it to give you an idea.
    Attached Files Attached Files