2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disabled check box on form

Access 97 on Win98se

I have a switchboard that is preloaded with report options. I'm trying to add a checkbox to the form that will be used to indicate whether the report should be printed or previewed. The checkbox is unbound. For some strange reason when I go to click on the check box nothing happens. It's default setting appears and its properties say that it is enabled and not locked. Why is this happening? Thanks in advance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disabled check box on form

The check box must be bound to an underlying field in order to be usable. Create a field in the table that supports the data type such as a YES/NO field and it should have that field as a data source.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Me again!

You'll probably want to consider putting some code or a macro behind the click event of the button and perhaps even consider using a command button to bring up the report in preview mode or printing.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your responses. I've decided to use a msgbox with yes/no/cancel buttons instead to achieve my objective.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, a checkbox doesn't need to be bound to a field to be useful. If you want the value of the checkbox remembered from session to session then you'll likely want it bound to a field somewhere. However, if you are just using it to indicate an option for your current session (e.g. whether to preview or print a report) it doesn't need to be bound. Just retrieve its value (True/False) in the code for your form (e.g. in the code behind the button that either prints or previews).