pdegroot

concordance file for index

I'd like to create an index for a long document (150 pages) by using a concordance. There's a way to create cross references (e.g., I want to index "System Builders" under "System Builders. See Partners, System Builders", which I can do through the dialog boxes, but I don't see a way to do that with a concordance file. Is this possible, or do I need to do cross references manually?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: concordance file for index

There's an article in the March 2001 issue of the (UK) Personal Computer World which reviews my Indexer tool and says nice things about it. [[[ If any UK reader can obtain a hardcopy of that issue with the review within and arrange to mail it to me, I'd express my gratitude by mailing money or by any other appropriate method]]]

I am attaching a copy of the QuickLinkII fax (in case you can read this at your end).

If you go to the foot of THIS message and follow the links to the Home, Page, you'll find a copy of Indxr which you can download. Indxr is self-installing. Just drag the Indxr.DOT into your startup folder prior to loading Word97SR2. Alternatively, drag Indxr.dot to a new folder and play with it. De-installtion is achieved by deleting the folder. Indxr does not access registry files or create mayhem elsewhere.

Building a Concordance table is one aspect of "Locating Interesting Words". Once you know interesting words, you can do amazing things, such as Indexing a document, Generating keywords for an HTML file, Generating Heading-i paragraphs (and determining the appropriate levels) from streams of text, Masking sensitive words in a document etc.

D/L Indexer and take a look. let me know how you feel.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Chris/Winnie,
    I'm trying to get hold of a copy for you - I'll let you know.
    Trouble is, the March issue probably came out last December...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I started getting email in January.

If you have to, steal one from the public library. If you get caught and your membership revoked, it just means that THEY have taken leif off your census.

pdegroot

Thanks Chris. You have a nice set of programs listed there. I'll try it out.
    Paul

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I have discovered two apperent bugs in Word97SR2 Indexing tools. Both relate to the Indexes.AutoMarkEntries facility.

1) A concordance file with a tab-character (ascii-009) in the first column appears to trigger a "This program has caused an illegal ..." type of message. I can't work out why MSoft wouldn't have caught a tab in a table. They are hard to put in, but not at all impossible. Especially if a user is indexing a document with old WordPerfect tab-tables. (see attached documents. The file DocFor~1 is the one to be indexed using AutoMark; the file ConCor~1 holds a concordance table)

2) Issuing a File Save immediately prior to the .Indexes.AutoMarkEntries command appears to inhibit discovery of index entry candidates. My test for this was to enable/disable the ActiveDocument.Save command several times. With the ActiveDocument.Save in place, no index entries are found; with the ActiveDocument.Save disabled, they are found. Go Figure!
    <pre>' Now build the index table, using the concordance.
    Documents(strThisDoc).Activate
    Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory
    Application.ActiveWindow.Caption = "Using Concordance " & strTempDoc
    ' ActiveDocument.Save ' triggers failure
    ActiveDocument.Indexes.AutoMarkEntries ConcordanceFileName:=strTempDoc
    ActiveDocument.Save
    </pre>

Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

In response to an enquiry from another firm, I am developing a speculative new version which might drag you into the role of beta-tester. Well, gamma-, at any rate.

I now take care of just about everything that Word lets you do manually, but add a slew of things they don't tell you about. The original word-word concordance table still exists, but I've added drop-down lists of bookmark ranges (for the page-range items) with thumbnail sketches of each bookmarked chunk, user ability to delete words from the "Interesting Words" collection, drop-down list of phrases like "See Also", "Refer To", "See:" and so on. Multiple index tables (you may have seen my query on the f field). Ability to have both cross-reference AND page-range in the entry generation (take THAT Msoft!)

I've got two more parts to put together:
    a) user option to enhance referall text (you can have the target of the See Also be marching-black-ants, why not?!!)
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] KWIC-like phrases constructed automatically from the Interesting Words collection available as targets for the cross-reference item.

In the back of my mind is a feeling that I can automate an awful lot more. I'd like to fabricate COMPLETELY a set of {XE}, and then somehow simulate what the {Index} would be and allow to user to delete entries which are really useless, or modify them on the fly. I'd like to get away from the create-XE; create-Index, create-XE, create-Index loop.

If you'd like a copy for inspection, let me know either here or by email. As at date of posting it's robust, but not really at the end of its development cycle. Your inspection as a USER could give me valuable insight into what is really needed in terms of the automated part.

(NOT!) Reproduced above is a sample GUI form currently in use.

Index entries will be prepared for two {Index} tables, namely "two" and "three"; No {XE} entries will be prepared for the default table "I".

Index entries will appear as the words "tables" with a nested sub-entry "telephones" underneath.

A cross-reference entry "See also: BELL" will be produced.

Page numbers identified by the bookmarked ranges SummaryTryIndex and CodeThisisTheIn will be displayed. These page number ranges will be formatted in both Bold and Italic emphasis.

All the user has to do is click on the MakeXE button and six {XE} will be produced (two tables times one cross-reference and two ranges).