Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 and Windows XP (SR-2)

How about creating an extra partition on the hard drive and installing each version to that !!
    Perhaps a shot in the dark, but I'm sure someone here can verify if this will work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Did you install Access97 first and test it throughly before installing Office 2000, and does your version of the latter include Access 2000? You might also want to look at a couple of articles on the issue - <!mskb=241141>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 241141<!/mskb> and <!mskb=325157>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 325157<!/mskb>.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

WendellB,

Thank you for the reply. I did install A97 first but did not think about having to test it. I then installed Office 2K w/Access 2000. I have tried suggestions in knowledge base articles, 241141, 141373, 235280, and 235279 to no avail. I had discovered my system was referencing the incorrect domain and now I do not get the "can't find 'name' format" error but I get a compile error on my database in one of the forms now. It is a private subroutine and the highlighted error is an 'str' command. Any other ideas??

New Lounger
    Thanks

D Willett,

Thanks for the suggestion - I may have to give that a try if nothing else works....Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like a missing references problem. Open any module, then select Tools | References...
    Click on each reference beginning with MISSING and note the information in the lower pane of the dialog; then clear the check box for the MISSING reference.
    Finally, click OK and see if you can compile all modules (Debug menu).
    If you get error messages like "User defined type not declared", you'll have to find out where the files corresponding to the MISSING references are installed, and then set new references for them (you may need to use the Browse... button in the References dialog)

New Lounger
    Thanks

The references menu is grayed out and when I stop the code, the module closes. This does not happen with all modules (only about 5 of 12) and it does not happen when access from clients running Windows ME with Access 97 and Office 2K (my new computer is XP Pro). When I go into debug, there are some errors shown. Any idea why this would not be an issue with Win ME clients?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 (SR-2) and Windows XP-Compile error

Hoping someone has seen this issue before. I am setting up a new computer with Win XP and Office 2K and Access 97. I went thru the issues of installing A97 and Office 2K and made it past the installation OK. Problem now is when I open a database (even the sample Northwind) in A97, I get two or three versions of an error dialog:
    "Microsoft Access can't load the 'name' format." (where 'name' can be a name or letter - in Northwind opening the Orders table, the 'name' is ', "&[FirstName]'). It then states in the dialog box that the registry setting for this format is incorrect and to run Setup and reinstall Access. Needless to say, I have done the reinstall many time to no avail. Any suggestions??

Thanks for any suggestions...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can't set references while code is running. If you have at least one module in the Modules tab, double click it. Otherwise, select any form or report in the database window, then select View | Code.

You should now be able to check Tools | References...

A possible explanation (but I'm just guessing) is that Windows XP installs many files in different locations than Windows ME, so references that were valid in ME may be incorrect in XP.