New Lounger
    Thanks

Restoring an offline storage file (Outlook 2002)

On my notebook computer I have two profiles, one for use in my office, one for connecting to my home network. In setting those up I see I have created two OST files, one for each profile. I want to point both instances of Outlook to the same OST. I could not see any way to make the change in one of the profiles so made the error of deleting the link to the offline file. Now, of course, that one opens with no data. To restore the offline file link I need, apparently, to be connected to my exchange server. Problem is we are currently unable to use our VPN connection (we "improved" our system). Is there any way I can either recreate a link to the correct OST or have both profiles recognized as the same installation of Outlook?

Dave

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restoring an offline storage file (Outlook 2002)

I don't have a solution but I do admire the problem.

This is interesting Dave, because I didn't think OST's were meant to be used the way you are trying to. I understand OST's as intended to be an offline doppelganger of server side information. Since you have two profiles, don't you in effect have two server side information sets? Therefore I don't understand how you can merge them to a single OFT. But because I don't see how you can do it does not necessarily mean it can't be done.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps I didn't understand the question. To get your lost OST back, select the profile it belonged to and relink to it the same way you created it, but instead of creating a new one browse to the old one.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think you'll be able to combine them, or view one file from the other log on. OST files are "keyed" with a unique identifyer that is made up of some profile information and some information about the account master file. For example, I couldn't snatch your OST and try to access it on my PC, whereas I could do that with a PST file.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It's true that I've ended up having two profiles. When I log onto this computer as my home networked profile ([name].thiscomputer) I have one profile available and when I log in for my office domain ([name.domain]) I have a different profile. So each has an offline file. So now what I need to do is discover how, when I log onto the home computer profile, I can access Outlook as if from the other. Perhaps moving something to the "all users" folder under documents and settings?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it won't hurt to try. Please let us know if it works.

btw - you might want to make backup copies of your existing ost files, first.