New Lounger
    Thanks

Inconsistent Graphics placement in Word 2000/2002 (2000-2002)

I've been writing macros for a customer to replace logos in all sorts of documents and have found this infuriating anomaly. (I can't find any reference to it in the lounge. Sorry if I missed something)
    This simple demonstration will highlight the problem:
    Create a table in a document.
    Put your cursor in the first cell and insert a picture.
    Format the picture so its positioning (vertical and horizontal) is absolute relative to the page.
    Now use Table Properties to change the left indent of the table.

THE PICTURE MOVES! ABSOLUTE positioning relative to page means what it says in Word 97.
    Anyone know how to guarantee absolute positioning in Word 2000? I need to make it so I can insert the picture (from Autotext) at ANY point on the page and find the picture always appears in the same place on the page.

Thanks for any suggestions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inconsistent Graphics placement in Word 2000/2002 (2000-2002)

If you put a picture in a cell, its anchor will be inside the table; this makes the picture a prisoner of the table.
    Make sure that you see non-printing characters on-screen, and move the anchor outside the table (or create the picture while the insertion point is outside the table.) This will make the picture position independent of the table.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans but this macro needs to place the anchor ANYWHERE within the document (barring textboxes) and creating the picture outside the table then moving the anchor inside the table results in the same problem. Just in case you missed my comment - it does not happen in Word 97 (or, indeed, Word 6).

Any other suggestions - I just need the picture always to appear in the same place, regardless of where the anchor is...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree it is a nuisance, but why do you need to move the anchor into the table?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't really WANT the anchor in a table. The macros will run several thousand times a day and their job is to find and replace old logos (which are {PRINT} fields) with actual graphics. Unfortunately the print fields could be in OR outside tables. Although I can get the macros to find the ends of the tables and then insert the new graphics I was hoping to avoid this if someone could suggest something better.

FYI: I have come up with a really bizarre solution that involves creating a frame of zero height and width in the top left corner of the page. The frame contains the anchor for the image/s. If this frame is inserted with the cursor in OR outside a table the result is perfect. The downsides of this solution are that the frame takes space in Normal view and that Word 2000 appears to be more unstable when there are "complex" graphics involved.

Any less bizarre ideas welcome...

Thanks

This could be a symptom of the changes made in Word 2000 to approximate an HTML editor, with all sorts of odd side effects for tables. I notice that it doesn't happen if the floating picture is outside a table cell. I also note that changing compatibility options to Word 97 doesn't fix the problem. Not sure where that leaves you.