New Lounger
    Thanks

Looking for a VBA Yoda (VBA)

I work in Excel quite extensively and would like to learn more about how to enhance my spreadsheets with VBA. Can anyone recommend a book or site to a beginner on how to use VBA and how it works. A VBA for Dummies would be fine. I can write code and just want to be pointed in the right direction. Any suggestions for a willing apprentice on the VBA aspect. Where would it be appropriate to apply such enhancements using VBA to dress up Excel spreadsheets? Some examples would be helpful to understand its potential. The Cliff Notes version would be helpful.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Looking for a VBA Yoda (VBA)

I have a book which will not be exactly right in every respect but perhaps there is a comparable one it is an O'Reilly publication (they are excellent) called Writing Word Macros, it was re-published in 1999 with updates for Word 2K so may now be out of print its ISN number is 1-56592-725-7. The basics will obviously apply but the word specific stuff won't although the principles will be much the same.

... I was interrupted whilst writing and decided to look on the website and there is just what you need - if the Word one is anything to go by:
    Writing Excel Macros
    Automating Excel to Work for You
    By Steven Roman, Ph.D. (he wrote the Word one as well)
    May 1999
    1-56592-587-4, Order Number: 5874

You can order on line their web site is www.oreilly.com AND they have a subscription on-line book service so you can also get it on-line for a very reasonable fee.

good luck................. li

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, found it and ordered it. You are a good Yoda!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you visited the VBA forum here? Lots of good VBA code examples there.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Two good ones on Excel VBA:

Excel 2000/2002 VBA Programmers Reference. Stephen Bullen, John Green, Rob Bovey, Robert Rosenberg. Wrox Press.

Excel 2002 VBA Power Programming. John Walkenbach.

And there are many others, I just happen to know these.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I would say that the Walkenbach book is better for the novice, but both are needed, as ech covers material not in the other.

Unlike his Writing Word Macros book, I do not recommend Steve Roman's corresponding book for learning, unless one is aleady an experienced VB/VBA programmer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In addition to what has already been recommended ...

For getting from beginner to intermediate, I liked Julitta Korol's Learn MS Excel 2000 Programming because it's well structured (though it has some flaws), but it's out of print, replaced by her book Learn Microsoft Excel 2002 VBA Programming with XML and ASP, Wordware,
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    [acronym title="Gday mate!"][/acronym] [acronym title="What up Dude?"][/acronym] UTC -7±DS