3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using your monitor to watch movies?

So, I have this real dandy CRT monitor hooked up to my computer. It has the standard video cable as well as that weird, five round cable system. The question is, can I use this monitor, without the computer, to watch DVD movies? In other words, can I buy an adaptor that will convert the co-ax output of the DVD into the whateveritis input on the monitor?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using your monitor to watch movies?

Not likely because there would have to be something to convert the signal, which would probably be computer related. You could always buy a tv tuner card and use that to convert your dvd signal to vga. I would recommend an ATI Radeon All in Wonder, they work very nice.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bummer

Yeah, I was afraid that might be the case. I just want to avoid having to run it through the computer. Oh well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bummer

I'm not a big video expert (or at least not anymore) but while your scenario is probably not possible with your equipment, it is possible. The dvi (digital video interface) is getting quite common on monitor and digital tv nputs, as well as computer video card outputs, and here's a dvd player that sports a dvi out: http://www.hometheatermag.com/shownews.cgi?264

kip