New Lounger
    Thanks

Favorites/bookmarks (6.0.2800.1106 (??))

What kind of version number is THAT?

Anyhow, here's what I want to do: take my bookmarks/favorites and those of four colleagues, collate and tidy them up, and then distribute this master list back to each of us to upload into our favorites menu. I've tried all kinds of combinations of importing, exporting, pasting into Word, saving as html...and I can't find one that works, i.e., one where in the end IE recognizes the revised document as bookmarks.

I figure one of two things is going on here: either I am being very, very dim, or this is another of those shouldn't-this-be-easy-but-it's-not situations so often associated with our larger software manufacturers. (I used to say bad things about Mr. Gates, but now that he's using his powers for good I've given it up.)

Please tell me it's simple and obvious! I have been humbled by my inability to beat IE into submission.

Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Favorites/bookmarks (6.0.2800.1106 (??))

All I do is copy them to a floppy, and then copy back to the different machines, using Windows Explorer. You can copy any folder, subfolder or link to to a different folder on your hard drive from the different machines. Then sort out the way you want them, and then copy to the machines the folders, subfolders and links.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Suzie--

I think that BookMark Magic will help you do this. You may need to convert everyone's favorites to HTML's first. This MSDN article Importing and Exporting Favorites is on the subject of importing and exporting favorites, but it seems to require the ability to script.
    Moving Favorites One Computer to Another

There are probably more 3rd party favorites transfer ways to make it easy--I'll keep looking and maybe some will show up on this thread. I also suspect you can organize favorites into folders and then transfer the folders or burn them to a CD.

You could also organize them and transfer them using Favorites Home Page or downloading Faves to Go from Kelly's Tweaks Line 108.

Suzie--are you saying your version number has those question marks in it?? What do you see when you type "winver" into the run box or at the command prompt?

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dear DaveA and SMBP--Thanks for the quick responses! I'm so impressed!

To deal with the last item first, no, S, I'm afraid those question marks aren't part of the version number. (I sort of sense that "yes" would have been a more interesting answer than "no"?) They just indicate that I can't BELIEVE that version number. C'mon! Whatever happened to nice simple 6, 6.1, 6.2? (Nostalgia for version numbers. What next?)

Anyhow, from reading your answer, Dave, I realize I wasn't entirely clear in my original post. I'm on a network, so I can export, email, and import pretty well. It's that I'd like to mix the bookmarks together, rename some of them, edit them, etc., and it's such a pain to do it in "Organizer Favorites"...it's so laborious. Like, if I could have them in Word and whip them into shape and then save it back into html...but that didn't work.

SMBP, I've check out your links and will go spend some time reading them (except that last one, which i have a feeling it would take me longer to understand than just to re-type all the links on everyone's lists!)...but, the problem is, I'm at a nonprofit, so we ain't a-goin' to be buyin' no software, and there's a strict no-download policy so freeware or shareware is a big no-no.

Gad, I feel so ungrateful, not being able to use your kind advice! But like I said, I will look deeper into your answers later today...I just wanted to say thanks sooner than that.

Very best wishes,
    Suzie