2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spaces appear in words when printing (2000 9.0.4402 SR1)

I am working on a document in Word 2000 (on Windows XP) that is giving me random spaces between words when I print a hard copy. It seems to be happening only in the section titles and it doesn't matter which printer I use to print. Usually, when I reprint the page, it prints fine. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Is it a sign that the file is corrupt? Thanks for your help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spaces appear in words when printing (2000 9.

Not sure. You can try the following:
    1. Make sure the printer driver(s) are up to date.
    2. Copy everything except the last paragraph mark to a new document; save it, & try to print it. If you also have section breaks in the document, copy each section separately, without including the section breaks (put them in fresh in the new document).
    3. Try checking Tools/Options/Compatibility tab/Use printer metrics to lay out document

Hope this helps,

Thanks

Re: Spaces appear in words when printing (2000 9.0.4402 SR1)

Do the section titles use a different font than the other text? Don't trust the screen display for this, actually press Shift+F1 and click then click in the text to get a reading. If so, it seems likely that there is a problem with that font and your printer or your printer driver settings. Many times, printers are installed to substitute fonts. You can override this in (at least) two ways: you can download TrueType fonts as outlines or you can download fonts as bitmaps. The latter will slow you down significantly, but if you're trying to match an obscure font, you might have no choice. The flip side of the problem, for older printers with limited memory, is that the downloads create problems of their own.

Does any of this help?

Oh, one other thought. The titles aren't "right and left justified" are they?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spaces appear in words when printing (2000 9.0.4402 SR1)

Thanks for your suggestions. The document in question is a report which was started from an old report, using the template that was in place at the time. I, and others, have been working with this document off and on for months and it's just last week the spacing issues showed up. Or maybe we didn't notice until last week - it's hard to say. I tried everything you all have suggested, with the exception of copying into a new document. The formatting is fairly complex and I didn't have time last week to work with that. The font is Arial Narrow, which I've never had a problem with. My suspicion is that the file is probably corrupt. So my question now is, if I copy everything into a new document, will that remove the corruption or will I be copying over the corruption along with everything else? It's not going to be a small task to copy and reformat this report, so I don't want to do it if it's not really going to help. Thanks again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spaces appear in words when printing (2000 9.

The suggestions I made will often remove corruption, if it exists, but there is no guarantee. Corruption is often contained in the last paragraph mark or in the section breaks, which is why I said not to copy those. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;211634