New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook '00 or '02 for writing in *original* note (Outlook 2000)

Recently my DSL provider changed their outgoing mail specs that makes my Outlook '97 impossible to use. After first installing Roxio's (now Symantec's) "Go Back" so I could safely play with programs on my laptop, I installed Outlook 2000. It's okay I guess, but there are two major problems:

-- Unlike in '97, I can no longer write/manipulate/change an original email *before* replying, saving or forwarding. And I need to be able to do that - it saves a lot of time in my business. Was this a feature that was lost in 2000 but restored in 2002? If so, I'll buy that instead.

-- When I click 'Save As' in '00 I only get the file format choice of .txt, .msg or some resident Outlook format. In '97, I could Save As .rtf... my preferred choice -- even though I receive and send in plain text, -- also my preferred choice. Again, does 2002 restore this ability?

If not, I'm going to hit the Way Back machine and simply use Outlook Express... until I can find another DSL provider.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lisa

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook '00 or '02 for writing in *original* note (Outlook 2000)

In 00 you can't directly "save as" a txt formatted item to the rtf format. You have to open it, choose Edit, then change format to rtf. After that you should be able to save as rtf.

We need more information on the nature of the problem when you try to edit original text. Do you get an error? Have you tried selecting the Edit | Edit Message before making the changes?

New Lounger
    Thanks

> In 00 you can't directly "save as" a txt formatted item to the rtf format. You have to open it, choose Edit, then change format to rtf. After that you should be able to save as rtf. <

LOL -- trust me, that extra step times 200 daily emails is *not* going to happen. Will 02 allow me to save it as .rtf right off the bat?

> ...the problem when you try to edit original text. Do you get an error? Have you tried selecting the Edit | Edit Message before making the changes? <

I didn't even know there was an Edit | Edit Message tool. In '97 I simply put my cursor into the original email and do whatever I need to do, then either click 'Save' to have the changes saved in the message itself, or 'Save As' to save as an .rtf on my hard drive. When I tried doing that in the 00 email I didn't get an error message, it's just that nothing happened. I'd highlight and click delete... and nothing deleted. I'll try the Edit | Edit Message tool and see if that helps. Does 2002 do it the same way?

Why on earth does MS have to continually take the simple and turn it into the difficult? :-)

Thanks for the reply!

Lisa

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

02 works the same way in both cases. Perhaps the save as could be automated so that you only have to click a button. But I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps one of the code guru folks could help here.

New Lounger
    Thanks

>02 works the same way in both cases.

=Sigh= At least the Edit | Edit Message works, even though it's ridiculous to have to add two extra clicks where none were required before. Thanks for the tip!

> Perhaps the save as could be automated so that you only have to click a button.

Doubtful, but if there is a way I'm sure someone here would know.

However, now I have a different problem all together. My laptop is using the same version of IE: 5.5 -- and works fine for all other sites -- but this one. I'm typing this on my desktop because my laptop won't even let me open the main wopr home page, let alone this one. I thought it might be something in Internet Options | Advanced and unchecked the Use Http 1.1 box (though I have it checked on my desktop) but no... still get taken to an error page.

Thoughts, anyone?

Lisa