Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing a Contact List between PC's (Outlook 2000)

Someone in our office wants to be able to share one of his contact lists with another computer in the office. Is there a way to export an entire contact list, then import it into another person's Outlook contact list?

Thanks

Re: Sharing a Contact List between PC's (Outlook 2000)

There is File>Import and Export... but often you need the Office CD to get it to work; it doesn't always install completely in the normal install.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Assuming you want your colleague to be automatically updated with new entries to your Contacts folder, the most efficient way is to use Outlook's Share facility, found under the pull down "File" menu. This gives the option to share Calendar, Contacts and Tasks with anyone else using Outlook. As WOW has reported earlier, the sad thing is that this exceptionally useful facility is not available in Outlook XP although there is something emerging in 2003 whihc may fill the gap. Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you using an Exchange Server or not? If you are, what your user wants to do is very easy. However, depending on what things the users want to be able to do with the contacts and how many people may want to access a shared folder, there are a couple of options to consider: Sharing the folder or using Public folders.

Lounger
    Thanks

We do not have Exchange in our office. I ended up just exporting as a text file, then importing it to the other PC. Not the easiest way to do things, but it worked ok. I may try to get the Share function to work, if I get some free time. Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's a good source of info for sharing contact lists and other Outlook features:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I use Slipstick regularly. Thank you.

Instead of text file, I would generally use a PST file. One thing I have done for a couple of small offices is to set up a separate PST file for contacts and have one person be designated to edit/maintain the contacts. Then - this user has a batch file to copy the pst file to each of the other users in the office. Each user has their own pst file in their profile so everyone can keep it open/use it as needed.

One big caveat is that if anyone has Outlook open when the batch file is run the copy will not work for that user.