I cannot run Office Detect & Repair on an installation running Windows XP SP1. I have tried accessing the Detect & Repair utility via individual Office applications, from the Control Panel Add/Remove applet and from my Office 2000 CDs, all to no avail.

When attempting to run the Office Detect & Repair utility, I receive the error message, "The patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor ro verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

The problem appears to be with the Windows Installer, based on some research in the Windows Knowledge Base. There is a Windows Installer Cleanup utility that supports versions of Windows Installer below v2.0. Well, with Windows XP, I have Windows Installer v2.0 of course, and it is not supported by the Cleanup utility.

I do have Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed.

Please see this KB article for information on the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;q295823

Appreciate any advice you can offer.