Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot open Word (Word 97/Win 98)

This afternoon I was happily using Word to check a number of old files, and three of them I successfully converted to PDFs using Acrobat Distiller. This evening, when I try to launch Word - either through the icon on my Office toolbar, or via Start>Programs - I get an error message and Word will not open. I have rebooted twice, but there has been no change.

The error message is:

WINWORD caused an invalid page fault in
    module ADOBEPDFMAKERX.DLL at 015f:10026a91.
    Then follows a list of register keys (not shown as I am not sure they are particularly useful to know) .

So the culprit is this file: ADOBEPDFMAKERX.DLL but I have no idea how to resolve the problem. Do I need to reinstall Word?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot open Word (Word 97/Win 98)

I'm back already. After my post, I thought I would check to see just where this DLL was on my computer. I found it under Adobe Acrobat. (Should have realised this!). So I reinstalled Acrobat, and now I can open and use Word, but both on opening and closing the program, now get a new error message.

A small dialog box labelled Microsoft Visual Basic pops up stating 'Compile error in hidden module: AutoExec'. There are two buttons in the box - OK and Help. Clicking Help tells me nothing useful except defining what a module is (I know nothing about VB) and OK seems to take care of everything and I can commence work in Word, or it allows me to exit, (depending on whether I am trying to open or close Word). What now?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no mention of this error in the Knowledge Base for Word 97, but several for Word 2000. Perhaps they apply to Word 97 too.

If you have Norton Anti Virus, and you have the Office Plugin enabled, this can conflict with other add-ins. It is safe to disable it (in NAV Options), for NAV offers enough protection without it.

For more info, see <!mskb=328167>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 328167<!/mskb> and <!mskb=307410>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 307410<!/mskb>, and Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to activate URL)

Hans - thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I don't have NAV running, but one of the subsequent links in the places you referred me to had something about PDFMaker. It was in the Office Startup list and this was the problem. It was suggested in the article <!mskb=328167>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 328167<!/mskb> to move it out of that folder and put it elsewhere and this resolved thre problem. Thank you thank you!!