3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Expression/Function (Access 2000)

I am struggling with an expression:

If [RelationshipToClient]="Husband" or "Wife", I need the control to return Husband or Wife as the case may be. If not either husband or wife, I just need a blank cell.

=IIf([KinRelationshiptoClient]="Husband","Husband"," "#OR# ,=IIf([KinRelationshiptoClient]="Wife","Wife"," "

I know this is going to end up being simple but in the past two years I not been working with Access very much and it's like I went back to Day 1. I went back to some previous work and can't find anything similar so I wonder if anyone can help.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Expression/Function (Access 2000)

You can use

=IIf([KinRelationshiptoClient]="Husband","Husband",IIf([KinRelationshiptoClient]="Wife","Wife",Null))

or

=IIf([KinRelationshiptoClient]="Husband" Or [KinRelationshiptoClient]="Wife",[KinRelationshiptoClient],Null)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exactly!

Thanks so much.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Funny thing about this expression though. I tried taking it a little further, i.e.

=IIf([RelationshiptoClient]="Husband",[FNAME] & " " & [LNAME],IIf([RelationshiptoClient]="Wife",[FNAME] & " " & [LNAME],Null))

This worked just beautifully. However, I then wanted to use it to suppress other controls in certain situations so I used the following for Address, City, State, and Zip

=IIf([RelationshiptoClient]="Husband",[ADDRESS],IIf([RelationshiptoClient]="Wife

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Check very carefully that all the control names you use are valid and available. If Address is spelled differently, or not available on the form, you'll get errors.