3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems importing Word content into memo field? (97SR2)

Hey,

imagine importing table-structured Word documents (evaluation forms) into an Access database using Word automation. One of the issues is that some of those tables' cells might contain a quite large amount of text. The best option, I assume, is to import those cells into memo type fields.
    Is there anything I should watch out for, here? That text might get truncated, or damaged, or...?

At this moment, I haven't started coding yet, but I probably would:
    - set doc variable = the Word document to be imported;
    - scroll through the Word document and loop through all tables and cells;
    - fill a table = Document name + table number + row number + column number + value.
    Then, the 'value' field should be a memo type one...

Hasse

ps For the moderator's information: I would have liked to add question to a related previous post of mine about importing Word doc's in general, but I can't retrace it as my browser (or selective view from my side) has hidden the 'search' feature...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problems importing Word content into memo field? (97SR2)

Unfortunately, searching has been disabled because it overburdened the Lounge server. See <post#=250092>post 250092</post#>.

Your previous thread was in <post#=246312>post 246312</post#> (I don't have magical search powers, but I sorted the forum by poster; estimating where the "H"s would start brought me to your post in 4 steps)

Things to watch out for in a memo field:
    - They only contain unformatted text; if your table cells contain text formatted as bold, italic, etc., this formatting will be lost.
    - If you set a format such as ">", only the first 255 characters will be displayed - see <!mskb=103998>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 103998<!/mskb>.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problems importing Word content into memo field? (97SR2)

HansV,
    those problems are something I can live with, and the users too... I was most scared of corruption issues. If I start the project & something goes wrong anyway, I'll let it know.
    Thanks (and thanks again for bringing up the reference to the mentioned thread too)!
    Hasse