2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Dual Boot Win 98 AFTER Win2000 Installed

My laptop computer now has Win 2000 installed on the 14 Gb HD all NTFS. After upgrading I discoverd that my Iomega Click drive will not work with Win2000 and Iomega do not intend to upgrade it to do so.

The most economical solution seems to be to partition the HD to a new FAT32 partition and install Win 98 as a Dual Boot system. But Microsoft Articl Q217210 says you must install Win 98 first. I really do not want to reformat the HD and start again.

Can I install Win 98 in a separate partition now and how do I organise the boot file correctly if I can do that?

All help most welcome

Noel

Thanks

Re: Dual Boot Win 98 AFTER Win2000 Installed

Searching at the , the safest answer appears to be <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/>Partition Magic.

Having said that, there is one suggestion <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.win2000mag.net/Forums/Application/Thread.cfm?CFApp=70&Thread_ID=54236#Message144081> here</A> - you may well find others.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

use PM to make the partitions and install win98, you'll need ot repair the win2k install for it to boot or use a boot utility

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Is the problem with Win2k or with the NTFS 5 partition? If the latter, you could install Win2k in a FAT32 partition, which would lose you some of the functionality of native NTFS, but you would get your click drive back without clogging your system up with Win98. If you are using Partition Magic, make sure you have a modern version that supports the 5 version of NTFS.
    Rgds

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for your help. I do have the latest version of Partition Magic and I have plenty of space on the Laptop HD so I will try it and see if it works.

Most appreciated.

NoelM

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Noel,

Of course you have a backup to right? [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Create your partition, then back up your BOOT.INI file, which is hidden in C:.

Boot with a floppy, and when you get to your new partition type SYS C:. Then you can run setup on the new partition for Windows 98.

Once you are done with the process, you'll need to run the repair function of Windows 2000 to repair the boot sector, and modify your BOOT.INI to add WIndows 98.

These links may help:
    Q243896 How to Dual Boot Windows NT/98
    Q99743 Purpose of the BOOT.INI file
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.ASP>Q217210</A> How to Multiple Boot Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 95, Windows 98, and MS-DOS
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very muck Willy, for the very clear and comprehensive reply. I have been out of the office for a couple of weeks, hence the delay in replying. I now feel confident to go ahead and do it!

Yes, I do have all the date backed up - not the programs - I find it just as easy to re-install the program if something goes wrong than to find and restore a back-up.

Thank you very much indeed for your help.

Noel