Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows File Protection (Windows XP SR1)

I have been getting the following message about every other time I restart my computer.
    Files that are required for Windows to lrun properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions......

There is more but that should do. Each time I put in the installation disk. I know what WFP is I just don't know why it comes up all the time. Just a note I am also having a problem installing the ie6 udate and 2 critical updates from the Windows Update site. The updates are 811493 and Q815021.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows File Protection (Windows XP SR1)

Need more info before we start trying to get into the updates saga. But first, have you run a good virus scan on your system? How about a spyware checkup? If Windows IS finding fault with the versions of some files on your system, there could be a snake in the woodpile. I wouldn't think that files would get replaced by themselves but there are a lot of dirt bags out there who do it TO us!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Rflinton--

What may also help to ID one of a number of triggers for this error message is to go to Event Viewer and at the times when you have gotten this message, see what's logged as to the specific error code (" Event ID #...The specific error code is 00...") because there are a number of situations known to trigger it--and paste the specific error message you see there.

SMBP

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Norton says no viruses (I am religious about this) Ad-Aware says no spyware. The event code is 64004 and error is 0x800b0100 (no signature). Each wfp error involves different system files.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. That error gives at least something to search for.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Grab your XP installation CD and run the System File Checker (Start - Run - SFC /SCANNOW).
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I haven't been here for a while. The main prob seems to have solved itself or my update cure may have done it. I found that I had to turn on cryptographic services to use the windows update site. It may have effected the other problem too. Anyway both are solved now. Thanks.