Lounger
    Thanks

Updating Windows from 95 to 98

Due to various issues I've finally decided to move from Windows 95 to Windows 98. I've purchased Windows 98, 2nd Edition, but notice it says "for PCs without windows". I'd prefer (I think) to install it over-top my Windows 95 so I don't have to reload/build everything else. Are there any special considerations or problems with doing it this way?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Updating Windows from 95 to 98

If I'm not mistaken { and I might be} I think that just means it's the full version { not Upgrade} for Win98. I would think that when you put the CD and the window comes up there should be an Upgrade Option. If so just choose Upgrade and click OK, and it will load and upgrade you to Win98. it's easy enough to find out, just by sticken it in and running it to see if the Upgrade Option is thier. I think all that means is you don't have to have an earlier version of Windows to use the CD. With a Win98 Upgrade Only CD you have to already have an earlier Version of Windows loaded for it to work. Yep I'm pretty sure thats right.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I do believe Cowboy is right - you can use the "full boat" CD to upgrade. And, I know it isn't what you asked but I've got to tell you - you will probably regret NOT doing a clean install. If you install 98 on top of 95, after all this time, you're gonna leave a bunch of remnants of "garbage" around that might sooner or later get in your way. The experience of most people is that it's better to take the time to clean install and re-install your applications, when moving to Win98SE.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I think the case to be.

Lounger
    Thanks

I know that I probably should do the fresh install . . . I'm most likely just being lazy. I think I'll let it stew for a day or two. I appreciate the feedback!