davidbarnett

Office SR2 Hosed my system

Yesterday I installed Office 2000 Premium (as an upgrade over an existing installation of Office 97), then installed the Service Release 1a, then downloaded and installed the Service Pack 2. Between each of these operations I checked each application for proper function. The initial install of Office 2K worked. SR1a worked fine too. But after installing SR2, I've been having a problem with Windows Explorer, My Computer, My Documents, and any other folders on my desktop.

All of the Office applications seem to work perfectly, and none of my other applications seem to be affected in any way. But now, Windows Explorer and the other desktop folders are no longer able to remember their View settings, desktop size, and desktop position. For example, if I open Explorer, it now opens to the default size and position,
    with "Large Icons" view. If I resize the Explorer window, change to "Details" view, and exit Explorer, the next time I open Explorer it's reverted back to the default settings instead of my own preferences. Same for My Computer, My Documents, and other folders I've placed on my desktop.

My preference is for Explorer to open in "Details" view, and all other desktop folders to open in "Large Icons" view. This is no longer possible for me, they're all the same. I've played around with settings in "Tools|Folder Options|View," but none of them seem to help. The "_Remember each folder's view settings" option no longer
    seems to function.

So how can I fix this? Would uninstalling MS Office 2K restore proper Windows Explorer behavior? Am I going to have to reinstall Windows?

In case you need to know, I'm using WindowsME, on a 3 1/2-year-old PII/266 system w/128M RAM. Windows ME was installed as an upgrade over W98SE, which was installed as an upgrade over W98, which was installed over W98 Beta, which was a clean install. Any suggestions which don't involve reformatting my hard disc and starting from scratch, or restoring from my last backup set (which is two months old...) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--dnb

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office SR2 Hosed my system

Personally, i'd uninstall Office, clean the registry and make sure the sp msi was gone, then reinstall, stopping after SR1. SP2 is recommended for corporate/network users, not standalone users.
    It may not be the cause of your problems though and you may need to reinstall windows - have you tried repairing? System restore might actually be of some use

You should always wait a couple of days and one or two reboots before adding more software -

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Also in Woody's newsletter he has said NOT to install SR-2. To many problems.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

davidbarnett

NOW they tell me...

--dnb

Lounger
    Thanks

Some people have problems and some don't. i installed before i saw Woody's warning and swallowed hard when it read his warning. but fortunately i don't have any problems. i guess i am really lucky. sorry you have problems. the recommended solution i think was to uninstall completely and reinstall then stop at sp 1. check the arcives in Woody's site before you do anything.

hope this helps.

davidbarnett

Uninstalling Office turned out to be an even larger major nightmare. The uninstall bombed due to Error 1402. At that point, I was unable to uninstall, repair, or reinstall Office 2K. Furthermore, some Office features became damaged. If I tried to open Outlook, I got Error 1606, and got the same error when trying to use Help in any of the other Office apps. (I have screenshots of the error messages if anyone is morbidly curious...) And the Office Assistant seemed to have gone into hibernation, which is not necessarily such a bad thing. <G>

So there I was, with Windows Explorer damaged, and Office practically unusable and uninstallable. I had not bothered to take any system snapshots in order to use the WinMe rollback feature, a situation I will not allow to continue in the future.

So here's what I did this morning -- I booted from floppy and deltreed my e: drive where Office resided, and also deltreed c: which held Windows and some utilities. My d: drive where I keep e-mail and other online applications and data, was not affected and I didn't touch it. After determining that c: and e: were empty, I restored from my last backup set. Unfortunately that backup set is a month old, due to slackness on my part.

But all's well that ends well. My system now works again, Explorer and desktop folders behave as I want them, and there are no error messages. Office has reverted of Office 97, but I can try Office 2K again at my leisure. I WON'T install SR2 again!!!

--dnb