Star Lounger
    Thanks

Different Versions of Word Docs (Word 2000)

I am wondering how to go back through different versions of a word doc. It seems to me that Word actually stores previous versions of a document even if you save over a past document with the newest version.

Is this true? If so, how would I access those docs and how far back will the "archive" go?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Different Versions of Word Docs (Word 2000)

Yes & No. Word doesn't automatically save previous versions. When you do a full save, the older version is overwritten. There is, however, a versioning feature in Word 2000. The purpose of that feature is to let you go back to an earlier version. You can find the feature under File/Versions. It only works if you already have saved versions of the document.

There is also a feature in Tools/Options/Save/Always create backup copy. This keeps only the "version" before the last full save.

It is possible to have metadata in Word, especially if the user has "fast saves" turned on (a <font color=red>bad</font color=red> idea). However, this is not the same as having previous versions.

Quite frankly, I think you would be better off saving a version with a different version number as you work. You can do so by pressing F12 (SaveAs...), which will save all edits up to that point. It's much less likely to get corrupt.

I should mention that there are techniques for reading previous "versions" (edits) in Word & other applications. However, these are recovery techniques that are extremely expensive & time consuming.