Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    922
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    Access Violation

    Sometimes after I close Word 2000, a message displays saying an error has occured and Word is being closed. (Yes, I know.) When I check the Dr. Watson log, it shows that the Word error was "Access Violation." I can sometimes open Word 2000, run 20 or 30 macros (for letters, memos, etc.) and close Word without seeing this error. On other occasions, I can open Word, run a macro once, close Word, and see the error. There seems to be no patter at all to the steps that result in this error message. I've seen in the KB that a similar error occurs with Excel, and was correct with SR2. Any ideas whether something simlar is happening in Word 2000?

    Thanks.
    Richard Barrett

  2. #2
    BAM
    Guest

    Re: Access Violation

    Hi Richard,

    Unfortunately an Access Violation is a vague error message. Basically all that means is "Hey I've ran into problem here"

    I'm not sure which error in Excel you are referring to but it is highly doubtful that they are related. (Especially if it was for Q176242. That was for Excel 97)

    To even being troubleshooting here is what is needed:
    - The full error message (this is why the error log is generated)
    - All details surrounding the error. What were you doing exactly; previously and at the time the error occurred
    - Your OS and Network OS (if any)
    - Version of Word and SR's, SP's installed
    - Any additional details that you think would be helpful
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

  3. #3
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    922
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: Access Violation

    Thanks for your reply.

    I saw a number of Access Violation errors that were "fixed" by the SRs. One for Excel simply stuck in my mind, but I didn't even read it.

    There seems to be no pattern at all to the occurence of the error. It occurs with macros which I have developed for a client, and it occurs on my PCs and on theirs, but only sporadically. I'm using Office 2000 with no SR, they have the same, with SR1 on a few PCs. I'm using Win2000, they use WinNT.

    Involved is a macro that presents a menu for the user to select which of five offices to use for one of three documents (letter, fax, memo), and the same dialog allows the user to indicate who the author is. Depending upon these choices, the macro branches to one of the three document types, inserting the return address for the indicated office. At time, I can work for hours, developing and testing, and exit Word without an error message. Sometimes, I can run Word, create one or two letters, exit Word, and see the error. At another point, I can launch Word, run the main macro, hit Cancel in the dialog, exit Word and see the error. Two minutes later, I can get back to Word, and work for an hour or so, then exit without error.

    There is never an error during the Word session; it occurs only upon exit.

    There are no DLL's declared in the global template that contains the macros, I unload all dialogs, and generally do the same things I always do.

    The error log is rather length; would it help to post the whole thing?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    BAM
    Guest

    Re: Access Violation

    Hi Richard,

    Just the main error is needed at this time, such as an IPF occurred in FILENAME, etc.

    Also, do you (and they) clean up all of your temp files after this happens?

  5. #5
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    922
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: Access Violation

    We were doing all of the "right" things..... and I have found the source of the problem.

    We had added a custom menu item, Correspondence. Choosing this item displayed a menu from which the user could choose the document, the writer and the office of origin. I removed that menu item, and I placed the macro under the Macros menu item. That was the end of the trouble. I had seen in one of the Knowledge Base articles something about user forms which were called directly from the menu bar.... that seemed to be what this situation was. In any case, it's no longer a problem. Thanks for your input.

    Richard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •