5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Conversion (Access 2002)

I've been given a database created in Access 2002 but I need to send it to a person who only has access 97. I know that you can't open later data bases in earlier versions, but is there any way at all of 'down grading' the database. It's nothing fancy, it;s just that it was created in Access 2002.

Rob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conversion (Access 2002)

If the database is in Access 2000 format (the default in Access 2002), you can open it in either Access 2000 or Access 2002 and convert it to Access 97 format:

In Access 2000: Tools | Database Utilities | Convert Database | To Prior Access Database Version...
    In Access 2002: Tools | Database Utilities | Convert Database | To Access 97 File Format...

If the database is in Access 2002 format, you must use Access 2002 with the menu option mentioned above.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Be very careful converting it to an earlier version. All that does is put it into the physical structure of that version. Code is not changed, so unless you have been careful to use only DAO and not use any of the new objects, functions, etc., available in A2002, you may still wind up with a database that the 97 user can't use, even if they can open it. If, for example, you use the Switchboard Manager in 2002, the switchboard form will be unusable in 97.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you both, I've succeeded, but it turns out the database has no data in it, so whoever sent it to us will have to try again. Thanks anyway