2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Audit trails (2000)

I just saw a statement on a web site that says, "Audit trails are easy to add to MS Access! You can use a function that records all the changes made to a record and stores this data in a memo field." I've looked for this function, but can't find it. Can someone help? Is this something new in XP that I don't have in 2000?

Thanks,
    Eric

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Audit trails (2000)

Allen Browne's web site http://users.bigpond.net.au/abrowne1/tips.html has a section on using functions for audit trails. This is listed under "Specific Applications" (way down the page). I haven't personally used this but his web site has been very helpful to me in other areas.

Good luck!
    Carpy Diem, it's .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks alot!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just one caution however - I don't believe this records data changes made at the table or query level. There are no events associated with tables or queries, so you have to lock down everything and force the users to always use forms to make changes. If you want to track changes at the table or query level, consider moving the back-end to MSDE or SQL Server. There you have triggers that can capture the changes made to records regardless of how they are done.
    Wendell