Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keystroke/scrolling time delay (5.5)

Windows 98 operating system--All of a sudden, I have lost the immediate active response in my IE and internet capabilities. When I click on a selection or button, nothing happens for about 3-5 seconds, then the action takes place. When I type, or fill in my username or password the same thing happens. There is a 5-7 second delay from the time I hit the keys until they actually respond. Needless to say, this causes problems as I hit the buttons or keys a second or third time, then get two or three actions instead of the one I want. When I try to scroll down a webpage, I move the cursor and nothing happens so I move it again and again, then all of a sudden it jumps in a sequence and is out of control. I use high speed Comcast cable and am used to instantaneous action. I work from my home via internet, so this impacts my job/performance too. I need to be able to use the internet or I am out of business. Have I triggered something that has slowed my IE performance? If so, how do I fix it? I checked the Microsoft website and they suggested clearing the Auto Complete and saved password files. I did this but it didn't change anything. They also said I could clear the registry but there was a warning that could damage my operating system. I cannot take a chance on that happening.

I have also used Ad-aware to clean up my files. But I have been doing that for quite awhile and this just started. Could I have deleted a quarantined file from that cache?

I am also plagued with the damn Stop Sign program. I have eliminated every trace of it I can find on my computer, but I keep getting messages that I haven't completed my scan--particularly after running Ad Aware. When I try to run the scan they suggest I get a notice that the file is damaged. I tried writing to their tech services for info on deleting, but they don't respond. Could this be causing a problem?

I am also unable to run my disk fragmenter any longer--it just says on zero percent. Could this also be related?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Keystroke/scrolling time delay (5.5)

Have you tried System File Checker, sfc scannow? You will need to put your Win98 CD in and go to start, run and type sfc scannow { make sure you leave a space between sfc and } After that try to do a defrag and run Adware again. Have you cleaned your Temp File Cache in IE?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One of the things that you can do, which will clean out your TIF, create a new index.dat, as well as some other stuff is to download, install, & use Clean9x.bat from Fred Langa's site. I've been using this utility for some time. It places a shortcut on your recycle bin which will boot into DOS mode & clean a bunch of stuff out.
    Cheers,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, but I'm one of those folks who got their computer with the Windows system already loaded. I can't tell you how many times people have referred to the Windows 98 CD--but I don't have one for any of the three computers I have running that OS.

I do clean out the Temporary files in IE daily. And I still cannot defrag. Thanks for trying...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I went to Fred Langs's site and will download the file you recommended and run after I safely back everything up onto back up disks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Peter--

I have "Stop Sign removal instructions" linked below; Spybot S&D is known to help but there may be other moves to make as well--see below.

What You can Accomplish with System File Checker and Cab Files Without the 98 Disk

1) 185836: System File Checker has good odds on fixing you--possibly you have a friend whose 98 CD you could borrow--the other possibility is that you can try to run it and In the 98 SFC, you may be able to get some information on a damaged file anyway, by using the option "Scan for Altered Files" as the KB says, and if you ID it/them go to a dll site and replace a damaged file.

2) You can try this "workaround" if you can't get your hands on a 98 CD ( legal copies now available for $5-10 at a lot of the "swap meets" or computer shows from the software venders). Look at 129605: How To Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:

Using SFC in 98 and 98SE OEM's Without a Disk to Replace Damaged Files from files on the hard disk in the C:Cabs folder:

Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition
    In Windows
    To extract files in Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition, use the System File Checker tool. To do this, follow these steps:
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    Type sfc, and then press ENTER.
    Click Extract one file from installation disk.
    In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type drive:windowspathfile (where drive is the drive where the Windows folder is installed, generally drive C, path is the destination of the file that you are extracting, and file is the file that you want to extract).
    Click Start, click Browse next to the Restore from box, and then locate the Windows installation files. By default, in the OEM version of Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition the installation files are on the hard disk in the C:Cabs folder. With a retail full version or upgrade version, you can also insert the Windows installation CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then locate the Windows installation files. The folder is named "Win9x". For example, if your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is D:, the folder is named "D:Win9x". For Windows 98, the folder is named D:Win98.
    Click OK, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
    back to the top
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    Repair or Replace IE5.5 with IE 6 SP1 :

In Windows 98, you can go to Add/Remove and try to apply the Repair IE Tool to fix your IE 5.5.

Better still, why not uninstall the malfunctioning 5.5 and replace it with IE6 SP1?:

Repair or Reinstall IE or OE 6
    Also how about uninstalling IE5.5 which you can do easily in 98 and replacing it with Download IE6SP1? and do you have 276369: IE 5.5SP2 the latest service pack for IE5.5? See als IE5SP2 Extended Support. If you can't fix it from the cab files on your hard drive as above, I would try to repair IE or replace it with IE6 SP1. See 257234: How to Uninstall IE 5.5 and
    263470: How to Manually Uninstall IE 5.5 From a Computer Running Windows 98 or 95

Note that you can regedit to remove it as in the KB and in the instructions from the first link above.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Removing that #$%@ "Stop Sign"

See these links on Stop Sign with a method of removal from Computing.net:
    Response #11 Remove Stop Sign!
    Stop Sign Treat Scanner
    Uninstalling Software Installed with iMesh including Stop Sign
    Stop Sign Removal Instructions from support@eacceleration
    Using Spybot to Help Remove Stop Sign
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Hope this info helps. Let us know how you do.

SMBP

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! That's great! It will take me a little time to sift through your information and apply, but I greatly appreciate your help. I'll post my results. Thanks, again!