Thread: Access (2000)

3 Star Lounger
    St. Charles, Illinois

Access (2000)

I need your opinion. I need to know which software would best suit my customer's request. Should it be Access, Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server. The customer needs a database that can handle 50 different groups with 5,000 records in each group per year. Also, anywhere from 1 - 15 staff members need to use the data base at the same time to input/research information. From my experience from Access, I am not sure it can handle this volume without crashing. Thank you for your advice

Super Moderator
    Evergreen, CO, USA

Re: Access (2000)

I would probably recommend either SQL Server or Oracle for the back-end (data storage), though I think Access could be made to work. The basic reason is the ability to backup data on the fly, and to do up-to-the-minute recovery because of the logging features. Actually I would recommend SQL Server based on cost and it's ability to integrate with an Access front-end.

15 users isn't necessarily a show-stopper unless they are all doing heads-down data entry. We've had upwards of 100 users on an Access database that was carefully designed and used a robust network. On the other hand, the limit of 2GB on an Access database is an issue. Depending on the size of the record, 250,000 records may or may not be a problem - we've run several Access tables that ran nearly a million records, but the individual record size was small.

I would recommend that you create the front-end in Access, whether you choose to use ODBC to link to server tables or choose to create an ADP front-end (if you do the latter, I would suggest you switch to Access 2002). We believe we can create front-ends in 1/3 to 1/4 the time any other approach requires, though it does require each user have Access installed, or that you create a run-time version using the Developer version of Office.

Finally, you should be aware that having a data base server does require some administrative care and feeding. If your organization doesn't have a full-time IT staff to do that kind of thing, I would definitely recommend SQL Server - it's fairly easy to learn the administrative and maintenance functions you will need.