Esteetech

IRQ's in Win 2000

Does anyone know how to assign IRQ's in WIn2k. My machine is sharing IRQ 11 with my nic, video, scsi, and sound cards. Can anyone help????

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IRQ's in Win 2000

Adjusting the Interrupt Requests in Win2K is similiar to adjusting the IRQ's in Win98. Click on the system icon in the control panel, click on the hardware tab and then the Device Manager (about halfway down). This will give you a list of all the devices installed in your computer. Find the device that is causing you grief, right click on it and select the properties. This will open the properties of the device and then click the resources tab. You will then see a list of resources the device is using (including memory addresses and IRQ's). Click the IRQ. Make sure you deselect the "Automatic settings" box. Click on the "change" button and you are off to the races.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Esteetech

Thanks for your help. But when I get to the RESCOURCES tab and click the IRQ line the area to DESELECT "AUTOMATIC SETTINGS" is grayed out. I cant click it. I am logged in as ADMINISTRATOR. ANd I see the sharing when I go to computer management. Ever seen that before????

Lounger
    Thanks

Whoa, that's no fun. Under the Admin icon in the control panel, there's a "Local Security Policy" icon. Check that to ensure that you have permissions to affect system changes. Have you made any other system changes that has been hindered by a possible permissions issue?

Esteetech

I hate to sound stupid, but I have to. I am in the SECURITY POLICY window and I cant find any settings for SYSTEM CHANGES. I did like the remaning of ADMIN and GUEST accounts as well as the max number of login attempts though. Am I lost???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Windows 2000 is a plug 'n play OS. It is doing what it is designed to do. If you are NOT having any problems with the system don't change the settings. If these devices are plug 'n play, even the 'Administrator' can NOT change these settings.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Esteetech

I have 4 devices, nic, video card, scsi, and sound card all on IRQ 11. (to me these are high horse power components of a system)I would think the machine would run faster if these had their own addresses. Its a P3-733(fast to me)so I cant tell if its bogging down because of this IRQ sharing or running at its full potential. These devices are all "plug and play".

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Plug 'n Play will use shared IRQ's. You will NOT gain any thing. Ii has been said that MS did a good job of the sharing in Win 2K. Let it do it's thing, and save you worries to the REAL problems of the day. <font color=red><big>If it works, DON'T fix it.</big></font color=red>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    I'll endorse that. Windows 2k does not actually use IRQs : it uses #INTs instead, and these are sorted out by the system. Sharing resources is part and parcel of the OS, controlled by PCI 'steering' modules.
    If you really want to change sharing, take out all your PCI cards and re-insert them one by one, booting each time, with the most important first. You might get a result, but it's unlikely you'll notice a speed increase.
    This worked for me in Win98SE : my TV card was always shuttled to IRQ9, which it did not like at all. When I carried out the above, putting the TV card first, things slotted into place. In Win2k it all happens automatically.