Thanks

Windows Media Player

I'm running Windows 98SE, and have upgraded from WMP7 to WMP9. After working for a few weeks, WMP9 now won't play anything at all. It opens up OK, but when I try to play even the simplest audio file, it tells me I'm critically low on memory, and refuses to play anything.

I'm NOT critically low on memory, since no other applications are running, unless WMP9 is eating a huge block of it.

There doesn't seem to be any way of removing and replacing WMP9, or of returning to WMP7 (I have programs and SDKs for both).

Any ideas on what to do?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks

Re: Windows Media Player

Lou,
    Win SE had a reputation for using memory for various things and then not giving it back to the system when done with it.
    If you re-boot, then try the player, does it run OK? If so, then the memory hog is at work. GO to Win XP?

WMP 9 cannot be uninstalled without using something like system restore or GoBack to revert your system back to pre version 9 days.
    Another case for WINXP. SE does not have system restore as an option.

Also, how much memory do you have right now?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Lou--

I can't give you a figure on how much memory WMP9 should use, and Bob mentions a "memory leak" problem usually much worse in Windows 9X, particularly ME, but 98 and 98SE as well that is not as bad in NT kernels, but still does exist sometimes in XP.

I found this relatively recent thread: WMP9 Eats Up Resources.

WMP9 Memory Problems Win 98 SE Suggestions here to improve this by modifying system.ini, adding the line MaxFileCache=128000 which did not help.

253912: Out of Memory with Large Amounts of RAM Installed

One of the remedies in this thread was to run it with what is now called Windows 2003 Server. I have noticed it does take CPU, but am able to run it well for the most part with many many IE windows and Explorer folders open and other applications. What is interesting to me is why it takes up considerably more CPU simply just playing from ripped CDs at some times than others.

No Help MSKB. There is a KB on WMP 7 and memory leaks.
    No Help WMP Error Code Page List
    No Help Zach's WMP FAQ (Zach's On WMP Development Team for MS)

So....I would do this. You don't need to system restore to before you had WMP9, Lou and I wouldn't bother unless it's very recent. But download WMP9 again, and download Encoder 9 again.

WMP9 Download Site and WMP Encoder 9 Site

I've seen this help several times.

SMBP

Thanks

I get the low memory message even immediately after rebooting.

I also have WIN98's Resource Meter icon in my system tray, and it does NOT show any deficiency of usable memory.

I have 256 MB of RAM.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think your problem is directly that you don't have enough memory either to run it or when it's running to run other programs or tasks, and although people are getting more and more memory and much faster processors, you should be able to do fine with what you have. Obviously if you were running some games or graphics CPU intensive programs at the same time, you may want more. I think it's something else to do with your WMP9 that's giving that error message.

You can probably confirm this if you look at the 3 types of resources that 98's RM shows you. Take a look at your free resources when x number of IE windows/Explorer folders and some programs are open and then open up WMP and try to run it. (I realize it may be that you can't now). There are those that blame the 98 RM for being a resource slurper itself. You can also download MaxMem from Analog X that will give you more info or a number of other resource/memory monitors.

Have you tried to redownload WMP9 and Encoder 9? No downside there, and this problem may go away.

SMBP

Thanks

Lou,
    I agree with SMBP on trying a reinstall of MP9, but make sure you have the file for WIN98SE, not NT/XP. It's at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en. This specifically states it's for SE.

It also says that under WIN98SE, WP9 can be UN-installed with addremove programs in control panel. Check to see if it's listed there. If so, uninstall it and then try the install with the new download meant for SE.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Lou--

Bob raised a good point--make sure you download the WMP9 for 98SE, and for curiosity, because I'm betting this is not really a memory problem, when you get this memory message does it have any kind of number error, and I don't think you have an event viewer per se with 98 but you can set up Dr. Watson to try to get some info.

Ed/Add/SMBP: It looks like there is an event viewer log you can set up in 98 or 98SE of sorts: Event Viewer for Win 98SE: "On my Win 98SE, the Event report is listed as HTML here: C/Windows/ESLogs"

SMBP