4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Header/Footer - del paragraph mark (Word97/SR-2)

Hi -

I am sometimes able to delete the paragraph mark, but not always. I do not need all the depth in the header/footer box, but can't figure out how to delete the para mark.

Thank you, very much.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Header/Footer - del paragraph mark (Word97/SR-2)

1. The header (or footer) will always contain at least one paragraph mark that can't be deleted, just like the main document.
    2. If you have a floating shape / picture in the header (or footer), you can't delete the paragraph marker it is anchored to.
    3. You can influence the height of the header (or footer) in the Page Layout dialog.

Lounger
    Thanks

the depth of the header/footer space has to do with the margins you give your document. If you tell the header to start at 0.5 inch and your document margin is 1 inch on the top, you're allowing for header depth of 0.5 inches. If you don't want that much space between, either lower your header edge to more than 0.5 or change your document margin to be less than 1 inch.

Nancy Potter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Header/Footer - del paragraph mark (Word97/SR-

I don't have Word 97 to check this, but in Word 2000, the header paragraph mark doesn't show up in Page Layout view (Print Layout view in Word 97) unless there is either something in the header or if I've applied direct formatting to it. As soon as you open the header (View>Header/Footer), you will see a paragraph mark, but should disappear from view if you make no changes...unless Word 97 behaves differently. e.g. if you open a blank header & press Ctrl+Q & Ctrl+Spacebar, & then close the header, you shouldn't see the paragraph mark, even with the show/hide button on the standard toolbar depressed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Word 97 (and Word 2002) display the same behavior: if the header (or footer) is "empty", it will show one paragraph mark while you are in the header (or footer), but it will be hidden while you are in Page Layout view (Print Layout in Word 2002).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank yo, Hans, and Phil and Nancy -

I didn't realize the header/fter always contained the para mark.

I do have them set at .25 to eliminate as much real estate as possible, but since I only have one line in both, I was hoping to eliminate what looks like at least one extra line after the mark.

But now I know I can't. Thank you all.

Curious

Lounger
    Thanks

one thing you can do -- select the para mark and change the point size (you can go all the way down to 4) and format the para to make sure there's no space before or after and that its single-spaced.

Nancy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nancy:
    You can format a paragraph mark (or font) down to 1 point by typing it in the font size box on the formatting toolbar & pressing <enter>.
    Cheers,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nancy -

Great suggestion. I often do that when squeezing in more room in tables - especially with blank rows.

Thanks for reminding me of the trick!

Curious