4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bullets in Tables (Word97, SR-2)

Morning, Afternoon, Evening

When trying to insert bullets in a row, the entire table gets bulleted. Other than using Insert/Symbol, is there a way to overcome this?

Thank you again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bullets in Tables (Word97, SR-2)

You didn't mention what you're doing to insert bullets. A few things you need to be aware of:
    1. Go to Tools/AutoCorrect/Autoformat as you type & uncheck Automatic bulleted lists. In fact, you might want to uncheck almost everything in that box.
    2. Are you inserting them using the bulleted button on the formatting toolbar? You should use the List Bullet style instead.
    3. If you select a row only & insert the bullets, only that row should have the bullets. If the table consists of 1 row, or if you insert bullets into the last row of any table, then all new rows will be formatted with bullets. You can't get around this other than to take the bullets out. i.e. create a new row below, before you insert the bullets.
    4. Are you using a style, but have that style set under Format/Style/WhatEverStyleName/Modify/Automatically update. If so, any time you add direct formatting (such as bullets), all paragraphs of that style will "update" to include the direct formatting.

If this doesn't solve it, attach a portion of your document containing such a table to a post.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks

Word's automated bulleting is scary enough even when there are not tables involved. What might help is to make sure you are adding a bullet to a paragraph inside a cell, and not to the end-of-cell marker.

If/when you get tired to trying to tame the automatic bulleting, use Insert>Symbol to insert the bullet character and set up your desired tabbing once, then save that snippet as AutoText or AutoCorrect text and you can insert it repeatedly that way.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil and Jefferson -

Thank you.

Yes, bullets are scary. When I tried to duplicate the problem, of bullets populating the table (and text outside the table!) of course they behaved. Until I have to use them again, that is.

After reading your posts, I tried selecting a row, then inserted a bullet. Worked. Even worked w/o selecting the row but with IP within it. Doesn't make sense. Perhaps the tables I was working with were corrupted?

I have saved both of your posts for future reference. My thanks for your help.