Lounger
    Thanks

Getting table cells to line up across tables (Office XP Pro/WORD)

I would like to have table cells line up in successive tables in my WORD documents, but when I try to grab a column line and move it to match the table above, WORD forces the line below to one side or the other. Is there a setting that I am missing that allows me to do this?

TIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Getting table cells to line up across tables (Office XP Pro/WORD)

Have you cleared the checkbox at Table > Properties > Table > Options > Automatically resize to fit contents?

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Getting table cells to line up across tables (

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 01-Jul-03 14:33. to add the Caveat)</P>Hi Grayhound:
    1. First, all your tables must have the same amount of padding or Word moves the line. In Word 2000, they are found under Table/Properties/Options/Cell Margins. If these differ between tables, it makes it more difficult to line up.
    2. Hold the Alt key down while you drag a column line, -OR-
    3. Show the drawing toolbar/click the gridlines button/ & either UNcheck "snap to grid" or make it a very small number like .05.

Caveat: Unless you hand is very steady, this is very hard to do. IF you have the same number of columns in each table, & if the cell margins & other options are the same, they should line up just by moving the column marker or line. Another thing you can do is take the first table, choose Table Properties.../column tab/click next column & write down each of the column measurements. Then go into each table & use the Table Properties/column tab to put in the exact measurements.
    Cheers,