Star Lounger
    Thanks

Display all networked computers in XP

My 3 XP Pro machines are networked together. Same workgroup. Individual names for each machine. When I click on Network places, only machine #2 and #3 show with a nice list of their partitions. But if I click on View Workgroup Computers, each machine shows there. Then I have to click on each machine to get a display of the folders. That's a lot of extra clicking.
    Why does machine #1 not display in Network places? All sharing is enabled. Simple file sharing is disabled.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Display all networked computers in XP

I'm not sure what the "default" behaviour for XP is. When I open My Network Places, NOTHING shows up until I click on View Workgroup Computers. I guess I've always considered this to be "by design" since it does say COMPUTERS, not shares. Anyone else got a better answer? Personally, I always use Windows Explorer to view shares on my network, so I've never really noticed this one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Big Al. But even when I use windows explorer it doesn't show all the partitions on other computers on the network. It shows me some partitions, some shared documents, a CD ROM drive and a few scattered odds and ends.

In Win98, when I clicked on network neighborhood it showed me everything - no muss no fuss. Quite disconcerting to see this new way of viewing network connections being such a major step backwards.

My wife tried to save an excell file the other day. With win98 it was simply a matter of clicking on SaveAs, easily scrolling down to network neighborhood and then clicking on the appropriate computer and drive. Now she does SaveAs, clicks on network places, network computers, microsoft network, the network name and on and on. So many extra steps and none of them particularly intuitive.

Pardon my belly-aching but isn't there a simpler way to do this? Have I done something wrong in setting up the network. I mean, I have experience with these things!!!! What say you other loungers?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In Windows Explorer, you may want to setup mapped drive letters. Tools --> Map Network Drive (I think... I don't have an XP box anywhere near me at this moment).

From the resulting dialog box, pick a drive letter that is handy (and hopefully meaningful), and in the second entry box, type the network path to that spot, networked_computershared_folder_name. Depending on the security you have setup, you may need to set this up with an associated username and password.

My final suggestion on this matter, make sure you turn on the tick box to reconnect at each logon.

I hope this helps!
    Christopher Baldrey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I sure hope this doesn't sound argumentative, but unless you want to take Chris's suggestion and map ALL shares, I think you're kinda out of luck. Just for clarification of what I said earlier, as far as Win 98, Win ME and now Win XP (Pro, in my case), Explorer has never, by default, shown all SHARES. It has shown as my attachment indicates, MACHINES. Yes, they have changed the number of clicks you have to make to drill down to where you want to be, but it's not that many. What you may be thinking of is the Explorer tendancy to "remember" the shares you have looked at and show them to you the next time you come back. Many of us consider THAT to be an annoyance and usually turn it off with TweakUI or other software or registry hacking.

By the way, on the subject of mapping a bunch of shares, you take your chances at system speed (response time) degrading as you add more and more mappings.....

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, in my readings of the MS knowledge base, I've been able to come to the same conclusion, Al. Thanks for your advice and input. It's extra steps, is all, and extra steps are what I've always tried to shorten when using a computer.

Cheerio!

Peter

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! I hadn't realized that I could actually see stuff better in Explorer. This shouldn't have been a surprise, I guess. Anyhow, now I can see 3 computers on my network from my desktop, but only two from my laptop (it doesn't see my desktop -- which is where the printer is that I'm trying to share. Both my desktop and my laptop can see my husband's desktop work computer (but I'm not sure this would make him happy!). Any help would be appreciated.

Sheryl

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sheryl,

You have asked a very similar question in <post#=389400>post 389400</post#>. Can responders please post there, to keep all the replies together..

StuartR