Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 98 System Disk

I own three computers all running Windows 98 (one with SE). All came with the system installed and no "start up disk." Now as they get overloaded with software extensions, spyware, and other misc crap, I am running into problems. When I ask for help or to fix, I invariably get a response that includes reinstalling the system using the "start up disk that came with your computer." I don't have one for any of them. The system just came installed. Is there a way I can get one? How do I know it is valid? What about updates? When I use this disk will it wipe our everything on my existing hard drive? It seems everything I do to my system just causes more problems in the long run. Am I better served by just upgrading (UGGGH!) to Windows 2000, NT, or Me? I'm a novice and don't know (or really care) about all the bells and whistles. I just want to be able to do normal business tasks, email, internet etc. No games or music/video downloads. I'm very happy with Windows 98 (and I know how to use it). I really don't want to start learning a whole new system. So...can I get a disk from somewhere? Or should I bite the bullet and start over?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Windows 98 System Disk

Your best bet is to FIND a Win98 Second Ed { Full Version}. And use the upgrade option {That is if you don't want to do a clean install}. That Upgrade Option will allow you to install over the top of the existing Win98 and it will leave everything in place, files,data, settings and such, and replace any missing files and so forth, kinda like a tune up. Also your going to need something like Spybot or Adware to get rid of some of that junk Spyware thats cluttering up your System. Also , with that CD in hand you can use the System File Checker. If your not sure how, once you have the Win98 CD, just let us know and we can walk you through it. Of course , a clean install is always your best bet if your having a lot of trouble with your System. That way you start out clean and fresh. We can walk you through that to.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Peter:
    Whoever you bought the computers from should have the disks. If they don't...well, perhaps they didn't get a legal version. As far as a startup disk, you can make one, BUT that's not the same thing as having the installation CD. If you go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/AddRemove Programs, you'll see a tab for creating s startup disk. You should do that.

If you do decide to upgrade, don't get ME for sure. If I decided to upgrade now, I'd get XP Pro.
    Good luck,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I bought the computers from reputable stores--Office Depot, Sam's Club and Best Buy. What I got were disks that say "QuickRestore" but they don't say they are Windows 98 start up disks. Are they the same thing? The little booklet with it says it will "restore the computer to its original factory condition." And that it will delete all information saved on the computer and reformat the hard drive. I don't think I want to do that! Also, will this erase all the software and programs that I have installed? I definitely don't want to do that. I'd be better off just going to a new computer than going through all of that. If I have to download or back up every file to protect it, I might as well put them on a newer computer. But this works fine. There is nothing wrong with the operation of the computer in general. The only problem is with Internet Explorer and the pause/delay. Someone else suggested I just dump IE 5.5 from my computer and then install 6.0. Or can I install 6.0 right over it? or will it just pick up the same problems/ Is it worth a try? Will that remove/eliminate all my "Favorites" files?

Banned Member
    Thanks

1st off Peter. You don't need Win98 STARTUP DISK, even if you had one it's not what you need. You need the Win98 INSTALLATION DISK Full Version. If you had that disk you could {as I said in my last post} do a repair with{System File Checker} Or an upgrade which will repair and upgrade at the same time without you loosing any of your information, both of those things can be done with the Win98 CD which you don't have. And by the way I would be pretty @#$!% if I had bought 3 Computers and not one of them came with a Full Version of Win98.

Thanks

It is possible that the original Win98 installation files are in a separate (possibly hidden) folder or partition on your hard disk. The "QuickRestore" disk you have may specifically invoke a re-installation, knowing the source location of these files.
    I suggest it would be worth contacting the original supplier(s) to clarify exactly what the "QuickRestore" disk does - it may be possible to invoke a re-installation that leaves your other installed applications and data intact.

Before going down that route, I would wait and see if we can resolve the initial problem first.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...What I got were disks that say "QuickRestore" but they don't say they are Windows 98 start up disks. Are they the same thing?... <hr>
    As pointed out by Phil and Cowboy, be careful of the terms here. A STARTUP disk is NOT what you're looking for. A Startup DiskETTE is a floppy disk that enables one to boot a computer, usually to DOS. What you're dealing with here is the industry wide problem of computers bought from so-called superstores (and others). They DON'T provide the customer with a nice, easily identifiable Windows Installation CD. The have provided the legally required copy of the operating system and other software, but unfortunately it's embedded in that so-called "Quick Restore" disk you got. Sometimes you can use that disk to do a repair re-install of the OS, but I'm afraid that in the majority of cases it's wipe-out time and WILL destroy everything you've done to the system.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Peter one thing you could do is Download this free Program Adware 6.0 and run it. It will find all sorts of Spyware that you don't know you have, that by the way can slow your System to a crawl, and it will help you get rid of it. You can also go in and turn off things that are in your System Tray that you don;t need, because that also can drain your System. Go here to Pacs Portal and he will show you the things that are not necessary at Startup.Thats two things you can do right now to improve preformance.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, so I am a little teed off about it. But I have lots of friends that are also running Windows 98. Since yesterday I have contacted six of them--three have already told me they don't have one and the other three are looking...I remember the last time I took my computer in for upgrading, the techie asked me if I had the Widows 98 Installation Disk. I told him I didn't and he said they didn't have one either. They did have a pirated copy that someone had duplicated, but he said he wasn't sure if it was the full version. They must be scarce as hen's teeth....

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, we'll keep working on this.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, thanks. I'm still searching for someone with "the real thing".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Peter:
    I think you can install IE6 right over the older version you have. I have done that with my IE5.5 and now have IE6 with all my favourite intact. Another friend did the same when she was having difficulties with Outlook Express and she experienced no loss and is quite content with IE6 and OE6.
    If you plan to to get a new computer anyway, it might be worth a try and you will probably save yourself the cost of the new one.
    Jack

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I am already running Ad-aware and it got rid of about 150 files. Everytime I run it now it keeps hitting the same two---eAcceleration files (that damn StopSign!) As soon as I complete this I am going to Pacs Portal and check that out. But the problem is not with the computer as a whole. It is running fine and fast. The slowdown only occurs on the Internet Explorer--so I think I'll try upgrading that before I go further.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Peter:
    eAcceleration should be listed under Start/Settings.../Control Panel/AddRemove Programs. You should be able to remove it from there.
    Cheers,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Phil, that's one of the places I checked and removed it. But it is entwined throughout the machine. There are several sites that discuss all the ways to remove it. i've done them all and now think (hope) it is finally gone. But in cleaning out using the Add/Delete I found several "items" that I tried to delete and they wouldn't go. When I click to delete I got the message "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". On another (KAZAA Media Desktop) I got another message saying the file cannot be found. is there another way/place to delete these so they don't show up any more? Or is that one of those complicated things that can screw up the entire computer if you make a mistake?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast