Star Lounger
    Thanks

Show Repairs (Word XP SR2)

I wonder if anyone can help. I have just experienced one of those document crashes and when I went back into the document I had a "show repairs" box with the error being "Internal Data Integrity (Type 4)". I can find nothing anywhere to tell me what this means! Should I abandon my document and start again?
    Many thanks in anticipation !!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Show Repairs (Word XP SR2)

Hi Laura:
    I'm not sure what the message means. However, Word uses the term Data Integrity in connection with it's temp files. Specifically, to protect "data integrity", edits are made to a temp file, & when you do a full save, Word deletes the original file & renames the temp file to the original. When you crash, Word doesn't have a chance to do this. When you next reopen Word, it may open with a "recovered" document. It sounds like Word was unable to do this.

I'd try this. Reboot, then:
    1. Click an empty spot on the taskbar & press F3.
    2. Make sure that the look in box is your primary hard drive & that "include subfolders" is ticked.
    3. Type
    *.tmp;~*.do?;~*.wbk
    in the "named" box & search.

Look for a large one (or more) & see if you can open it in Word or even a viewer like Quick View. If it contains your file, move it to your desktop & rename it with a doc extension. Then delete the rest of those temp files.

Try to reopen your document & compare it with the renamed temp file(s). Hopefully, you will recover most or all of your document. If you do, it wouldn't hurt to insert it into a brand new file.

Hope this helps,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Show Repairs (Word XP SR2)

Thanks very much for your help Phil. I'll try this out.