Lounger
    Thanks

ASP upload & download

Hi

I was looking for a simple fre script to do uploads and downloads. I have found some that do a browse of the local PC and then upload. What I want is a ASP script that also do a browse of the server then do a download. The ASP script cannot need an installed object.

Can any one help?

Thanks

Chris

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: ASP upload & download

You want an ASP script that will let the user browse the server? I'm not really clear on what you're trying to do.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the one suggestion, although it seems that it will only upload.

What I am looking for is a ASP application/code that we enable to do via a Web page and not FTP
    1) browse my local computer for a file and then upload it to the server and
    2) browse the server for a file and then download it to my local computer.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I have to ask: What'cha got against FTP? I'm still not sure whether you're looking for something for the "general public" to use, or for you, the owner of a web site to use instead of FTP. I can't answer the upload part, but about a year ago, with a LOT of help from MarkJ here in the Lounge, I put an ASP script here on my web site so I could put files for download by folks I give the link to. If you think it would help you any, post back and I'll attach the code here for you to look at.

Thanks

> What I am looking for is a ASP application/code that we enable to do via a Web page and not FTP
    > 1) browse my local computer for a file and then upload it to the server and

Simplest = the HTML Form control, INPUT TYPE=FILE (as demonstrated here on our message composition page). No ASP required.

Anything else requires either scripting or ActiveX, that is, client-side code. Once the ASP DLL has processed the page and passed it back to the web server, the user just has a web page, there's no persistent connection. Does that make sense?

> 2) browse the server for a file and then download it to my local computer.

I don't remember whether any of the ASP objects handle file system stuff but, if not, you could use the FileSystemObject in the VBScript library. Again, this is not interactive or real-time, the web server receives a GET or POST from the user, passes it off to the form handler, and returns the results to the user. The user almost certainly will have to OK the save and assign a location, unless his or her security settings are deeply flawed.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for everyonne assistance.

I am now working on some solutions.

Regards