Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TIFF file save as (IE 5.5 SP2)

Anyone know if individual file types can be excluded from the security settings which were applied by our recent IE 5.5 SP2 update?

The Federal Reserve software used to display images of checks, etc. but since getting the IE 5.5 SP2 update this morning the browser is popping up a "file save as" dialog forcing the Fedline users to save the files each time they need to view the item.

Is there a registry setting which can be changed to revert the way TIFF files are treated?

This is NT 4.o SP6.

Thanks,

Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TIFF file save as (IE 5.5 SP2)

How were they treated before? You should be able to open Windows Explorer, then click on View - Folder Options and find TIFF files listed on the File Types tab. Clear the checkbox for that filetype that reads "Confirm open after download" and see if the behavior is what you expect it to be.
    -Mark

Thanks

Sometimes the dialog has a checkbox to the effect of "stop asking me this." Does that work?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As I stated in the original post the web based Fed software displayed the images of the checks, etc. without going through the "file save as" process. The images were never downloaded they were simply displayed on screen without any user intervention. That is the behavior desired. Only after the SP2 upgrade to IE 5.5 did the whole process get mucked up with the "file save as" step.

Users of the software searched for account information, called up the pertinent record and when they clicked on a button within the Fed software the image appeared, end of story. No "file save as".

It is as if the SP2 upgrade is treating the TIFF images as potentially bad boys that will only be downloaded prior to viewing.

The Wang image application on the NT boxes is still showing correctly in the file type and "open" is the default action for this type of file and they do open when double clicked. But that is not something we were doing to display these files previous to the SP2 upgrade.

-Jester

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will ask the department to confirm this but I do not believe there is such a feature. Usually this type of question appears when the browser is warning you of a potential security issue or providing some sort of caution. However, this is not the typical screen since it has already at the "file save as" screen with no other panels or menus in advance of the file save as box.

-Jester

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I missed the statement in your original post regarding the software used to view the images. However, I wasn't suggesting that you check the default action, but instead to look for a checkbox that reads "Confirm open after download" which would result in a prompt to open or save such as you seem to be experiencing.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will see what happens on Tuesday when I return from a pager free long weekend drive through New England... no keyboards, monitors, phones or nuthin'.

-Jester

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 03-Jul-03 15:41. Fixed broken link.)</P>Okay, the light bulb finally went on. Service Pack 2 for IE 5.5 eliminated support for "Netscape style" plug-ins and required ActiveX replacements. See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 303401 - Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer. Can you check with the plug-in manufacturer on this issue? They might have a support page or update for it. (Note: this will affect QuickTime Player, too, if you use an older version.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

None of the NT boxes have "Confirm Open After Download" checked. All have "Enable Quick View" checked but changing any of these settings makes no difference.

Have submitted this to the Fed rep at the Minnesota Federal Reserve who has been out contact hoping that they have seen this before.

-Jester

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have submitted this issue to the contact at the Minnesota Federal Reserve and asked if they have seen this and would the MS KB article you referenced point to the issue we have encountered.

Thanks,

-Jester

Thanks

I just installed AlternaTIFF and it works fine with recent versions of IE (in fact, it has both ActiveX and Netscape plug-in installers available). Don't have the link handy, but you could find it on Google. It's freeware.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This really is not a solution since we can display the TIFF files whenever we double click them. The issue is what in the IE 5.5 SP2 has changed the behavior of the Fed software since the clients used to click on a button within the Fed software to display the files. Now the result is a "file save as" dialog which is not the desired result.

We don't need another utility to display the files since the default Wang image utility works fine when we double click TIFFs.

We need to revert the behavior of IE 5.5 to the way it was prior to the SP2 upgrade.

-Jester

Thanks

Maybe Wang has an update? You can't be the only customers having this problem.

I suspect the only way to revert IE 5.5 SP2 is to uninstall it and get an earlier 5.5 or 5.01 from a dusty corner. I wish I had better news.

Thanks

Returning to your original inquiry about Registry keys, look at these keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTMIMEDatabaseContent Typeimage/tiff
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTMIMEDatabaseContent Typeimage/x-tiff

And see if you have a CLSID there that matches up with the Wang imaging control. If so, are there any odd settings under the associated Wang keys?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the pointers. I will poke around as well as bang on the Fed's door with more vigor.

-Jester

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast