Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 to 2002 conversion: report problems (2002 SR-2)

Hi All,

I have over 450 users that were setup with Windows 98se and Office 97. They were recently upgraded to Windows XP (SP1) and Office XP (SR2). The majority of the users did not report any problems using Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Many users are experiencing difficulty with Access 2002. When users are converting their databases from 97 to 2002, they are not able to change the paper size within the reports. I've instructed them to open the reports in design view, then click File, Page Setup, Page tab, make the required adjustments, click OK, and then click Save. When the preview or print the report, it's still prints in 8 1/2 x 11. None of these reports involved the use of VBA.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gilles

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 to 2002 conversion: report problems (2002 SR-2)

Were the databases converted using the wizard? If so, have you tried creating a new 2002 database and importing all the items and then seeing if you still have the problem? I know that databases converted using the wizard would often exhibit screwy behavior.
    -Karl

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the response. The databases were converted using the File, Open method. I've also tried creating a new 2002 database and imported all of the items. I've thinking that it may be related to the printer driver and the way Access 97 saved the printer setting within the reports.

Thanks,

Gilles

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If they are making the page setup changes in design view, then I'm afraid I have no clue. Maybe someone else has ideas.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karl,

Thanks for trying. I've noticed that the users who are having problems, also have HP LaserJet printers as their default printer.

Thanks,

Gilles

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Which model? There are problems with some of the latest HP Laserjet printer drivers. and Access Try having them configure the printer using an earlier driver and see whether the problem still occurs. If you fall back to something like an HP LJ3 configuration, the printer will still work, it just won't expose all the capabilities of the printer. If they do that and the problem goes away, you'll know it is a driver issue.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

The majority of the printers in this building are HP LaserJet 4100 TN, LaserJet 4050 TN, LaserJet 4 Plus, LaserJet 4Si, LaserJet 4000.

Thanks for your help,

Gilles

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

I've been able to solve the conversion problem, by converting the database on a machine that did not have a LaserJet 4 printer attached to it. Since new data had been added to the copy of the previous converted database, I simply re-imported the report and query from the newly converted database. Problem solved. I would still like to know what is problem/solution with LaserJet 4 printers.

Thanks,

Gilles

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've never encountered any problems with LaserJet 4 printers, but the 4000, 4100, etc., are not the same thing and I have no experience with them. I do know of problems with reports when some of the later LaserJet drivers were installed, so it may be the drivers that are causing the problem.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

Sorry for the confusion. I meant LaserJet 4000, 4100, etc. I am now convince that the it is a printer driver issue. Can you explain what some of the problems are with later LaserJet drivers?

Thank you very much for your help,

Gilles