5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot open Excel File (2000)

If anyone can figure this out, I will be forever indebted to them. I am creating a report in Impromptu (a report generating software). Once I create the report, I save it as Excel. It saves just fine. When I go to open the Excel file, I get the following error - (Name of Excel file) cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the doucment is stored on may not be responding.

The funny part is, two days ago, I created the same report and saved it as Excel and it opened. I created another report in Impromptu and saved it as Excel and get the same error when I try to open the Excel file. It seems like the problem just started to happen out of the blue.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot open Excel File (2000)

Have you tried copying the files from the server to your desktop computer? Open them from XL installed on the desktop. If the files open, then you have isolated the issue to the server.

John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have saved it to my C drive. No matter where I save it, I get the same error.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Take a look at the file properties via Windows Explorer. Highlight the questionable file and right click.-select properties. Since the error message mentions "read-only" it may be worth taking a look.

John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did that. I rebooted - I have done everything humanly possible.