2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text Field advice (VB6)

Hi all again,
    I am after some advice on a text field. I have a field that needs to be quite long. It may need to hold either 2000 characters or be of unlimited length. At this stage I am not sure if it will have to be all CAPS or whatever. Does anyone have any clues on the best way of going about this? Anything I should avoid? Anything I must do? Any traps?
    Thanks heaps in advance.

Bill

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text Field advice (VB6)

I think you're going to have be provide more specifics to get any useful answers. It doesn't sound like you really knw yet what this field will contain or exactly what you want to do with it. Is this "field" going to be in an Access or SQL Server table or will it be written to a text file or something else? When you say you aren't sure if it will have to be all caps, what do you mean? All caps in a 2000+ character block of text is nearly impossible to read except very, very slowly.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,
    Thanks for the reply. Basically the field needs to be a field where people can expand or elaborate on their responses for a travel booking. I would expect the fiels to contain things like "Please book me a large vehicle" or "When you book my hotel room make I request that there be heaps of beer in the bar."
    The information would need to be retreivable at a later date. I hope this helps.

Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, not much. You haven't explained where this field is supposed to be or where the data it contains is supposed to wind up. Have you already built the form, and what are you using for a data store?
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte - sorry for my poor explanations. Probably an example of my knowledge.
    The form is only partially created. The text field will be on the form in the last tab of a multi tab SSTab. I haven't decided about where the data is to be stored, but I am leaning toward an Access DB linked to my app if that will work. Advice appreciated.
    Thanks for your help.

Bill