New Lounger
    Thanks

Locked up Toshiba Tecra

Windows won't boot. I did something; don't know what. I have no password for Windows. When Windows 2000 Pro starts to boot up, it gives message saying cannot login interactively. Local policy. I removed harddrive and put it into a desktop as a slave harddrive. Need software to make the corrections. Cannot find any software I think will work. Searched web for hours looking. Any idea where it is on the net?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Locked up Toshiba Tecra

From what I have read it seems someone made a change in Group Policy Editor. Have you tried " Last Known Good Configuration" ? I don't know how that works if changes have been made to the Group Policy, but it's worth a try. Reboot and hit the F8 key and you will see that option.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Durssee--

Not sure if you are part of a network or domain. See 285793: Error Message: The Local Policy of this System Does Not Allow You to Log on Interactively.
    276590: Error Message: The Local Policy of this System Does Not Allow You To Log on Interactively
    2000 "Log on Article List" from Labmice.net
    Thread Xpert's Exchange

Also, you might try something that has worked several times for me, but again your situation may be qualified by a network or domain issue I'm not sure of:

1) If Last Known Good Configuration won't work, then use the same F8 key, or if you see the option after the firmware screen, and boot into Safe Mode With A Command Prompt.
    2) At the dos prompt type 1) "cd.." 2) "cd.." or any commands that will get you to C:>
    3) Type one of either these two commands: "cd windowssystem32restore" then at the prompt that follows type "rstrui.exe" or type "%systemroot%system32restorerstrui.exe" and use System Restore to get up to Windows. (Either a back slash or forward slash will work with these commands.)

Ref: 304449: How To Start the System Restore Tool in Windows XP

I believe this will extrapolate to System Restore in Windows 2000.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot get to dos prompt: When select boot into Safe Mode with a Command Prompt, computer still tries to boot to Windows. Am not part of network or domain. Thanks for your response.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Tried that. Didn't help. Also tried win 2000 repair. Didn't help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

To make any changes to the policy of the computer, you must logon as Administrator or user with Administrative rights.
    In your first message you said that you have no password to built-in Administrator account, and cannot logon to your user account. If you have no more accounts with Administrative rights on the computer installed, the only way is re-install Windows.
    If you choose re-install Windows "on top" of your existing Windows installation, you must also re-install all other programs installed, but your documents, pictures etc. will remain intact. During the installation, type strong (no less than eight-characters, better with numbers) Administrator password, write it down and keep in safe place. After the installation, create account(s) you will use for everyday job and assign limited rights to them (especially ones you will use to connect to the Internet). When installing programs, do it from Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Add new program (called Installation mode) - this way your programs will be available to all users. Do not forget to install Antivirus program!
    Good luck!

Banned Member
    Thanks

I have never lost anything , including programs, when I've installed over the top of Windows. All that does is replace any files and such that are missing.If you put the Win CD in and choose Upgrade, you shouldn't loose anything. It's kinda like doing a Tuneup. And I have done that with Win98, WinMe,Win2000 and WinXP Pro.