3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB Trackball Mouse (XP SP1)

Does anyone know why my USB trackball Mouse has gone mad after 6 months flawless operation. It works ok for a spell then responds totally erratically and disproportionately to any input. The mouse is attached to a laptop and always has been. the built-in pressure pad mouse continues to work in parallel and normally throughout.

I just need to now whether to tackle the hardware or the software first. I have IntelliPoint 4.1 installed. The change in behaviour was not coincident with the software upgrade...
    Thanks,

Mike C

Thanks

Re: USB Trackball Mouse (XP SP1)

Mike,
    Is this an optical mouse or a standard "ball" roller mouse? If the latter, it needs a cleaning. Spin off the hatch on the bottom, remove the roller and look for a pile of debris on the mating rollers inside the mouse.

If optical, have you changed the surface that you use the mouse on? I received a freebie mouse pad that had a reflective 3D surface. The mouse went crazy on it. Put it back on a non-reflective surface and all was well.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Viking,
    Thanks for interest. Mouse is a trackball i.e. is upside down I think this takes the surface issue off the table(!) the ball itself is optical, the mouse is corded not wireless.... Tried cleaning it already.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I saw such behavior when faulty KVM switchbox was used. Which piece of hardware or software did you install "after 6 months of using" your computer?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd look at the driver first. It may have become corrupted or have an incompatibility with the new software that took a while to show up, possibly in conjunction with another apparently unrelated system change. I'd suggest downloading the latest driver from the manufacturer and see if that helps.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.