Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Repair/Detect Wants File (Office XPP SP2)

Word 2002 is working fine, but I wanted to see what Repair and Detect would detect and repair, have the CD in the drive, because I haven't seen anything like this not ask for it, and get a box that says

The path 'Office XP Professional cannot be found. Verify that you have access to the location and try again, or try to find the installation passage 'Proret.MSI' in a folder from which you can install the product Microsoft Office XP Professional.

There is also a dialogue box up prompting me to insert the Office XP disk which was done. The message also implies you will be installing an application that has already been installed in the message.

I searched for PRORET.MSI with the hit or miss XP search tool, and I unhid files and looked for it manually. It's a no show.

I found KB's like
    290134: How To Determine Whether You Have a Retail or Enterprise Eddition of Offics XP. I found PRORET.MSI in the registry at the key specified, but I can't locate the corresponding file.
    297834: Error 1706 has nothing applicable to this. I found a similar error KB for Publisher 322078 which suggests to do a complete install of Publisher. I'm reluctant to reinstall Word when it's working in the first place just to give Repair and Detect a file it says it needs which may be just a glitch. 298027: Differences between Repair and Reinstall is no help.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Repair/Detect Wants File (Office XPP SP2)

If you have enough room on your hard drive, copy entire Office XP Installation CD to separate folder (better on another drive - D:, E: etc). When Office Installation Wizard (Repair and Detect) prompts you for source, point it to this folder. After you finish, you can delete it. It is known bug (Office 2000 and XP installation from CD), but Microsoft still won't admit it.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks--I have plenty of room. If you look at all these KB's there are threads of this in them, but they aren't quite on the same issue. I wondered in 298027: Differences Between Repair and Install in the section on repairing/reinstalling from the command line and they say to type "'pathsetup.exe /fs Msifile.msi' in the run box, where path is the folder where the Setup.exe file is located and Msifile.msi is the *.msi file you are using." where you would get the name of the folder and what you would type.

I have four drives. I installed Office XP onto "E." But it has files and folders on "C" as well, and I interpreted that to be a situation where no matter where you install a program, and how carefully you point it to another drive, some programs, particularly MS are going to put some of their folders on "C" anyway. The folders in yellow are the Office folders that installed to "C" automatically; the other list of folders is a partial list of most of the Office folders that I installed to "E." So knowing that I have tried to install Office XP to a separate folder, what would you do now given those error messages that I get when I try to run Detect and Repair? Would sticking in the CD and checking "Repair Office" help? Should I seek out that "proret.msi" folder and try to reinstall it given that Word "works" but Detect and Repair doesn't.

And can you tell me why I can find "proret.msi" if I do a search in the Registry, but not if I either Search the hard driver or do a manual search of "C" or "E" or search for it specifically in the Office 10 folder on either drive--it's not in the "big list" on "E?" The Registered Package that I find it under in the Registry according to the KB I linked in the previous post are not anywhere in Registered Packages on either drive.

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb--

Wanted to provide a F/U on how I fixed this problem. Thanks for your advice--always learn a lot from your posts in areas of Office I'm not sure about. And while this wasn't a "hardware problem per se" it goes for me in the areas of 1)software problem connected with hardware that you aren't expecting and 2) hardware problems that can sometimes make you work and work with software. It was in area #1.

I tried to read the Office XP CD-ROM drive, and realized that my CD-ROM and DVD drives were not being recognized by Windows XP. I checked at My Computer and Disk Management ("compmgt.msc" or "diskmgt.msc" in the run box). No CD "F" Drive and No DVD in "G" Drive. I had bangs on my CD and DVD drives in device manager, and got Error Message 39 when I checked their drivers--
    "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.(Code 39)"

I hit the KB and found:
    314060: CD-ROM Access is Missing and Messages Cite Error Codes 19, 31,32, 39 after you remove Easy CD Creator. I hadn't removed Easy CD Creator (6) in months, but I did have a Nero In-CD update crash me several times and the only way to get up to Windows was to run system restore from the Safe Mode dos prompt. So I booted off the update and got a new one. And that was the key.

The KB says that your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive may not be recognized after removing versions of Easy CD Creator from Windows XP. But I did that months ago and that didn't occur. So this "known issue" extends to Nero as well, because this happened right after I uninstalled the Nero In-CD update--not the entire Nero application. The problem is that "third party burning software "adds entries under the UpperFilters or LowerFilters value in the registry, either by adding its own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values outlined in this article that begin with:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlCl ass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"--and the fix is to delete the lower filters value that had been added or left behind by the third party burning software that doesn't remove all its files--namely driver filters. The part of me that feels that naming a value "upperfilter" and "lowerfilter" and putting a semantic barrier between the average user and the registry who may not associate the word filters with drivers or know what driver filters are, thinks one more time the names for keys and values need to be completely revamped into clear language and problems with uninstall in Windows will always remain.

The KB says after deleting the value you may have to reinstall the CD-Burning software, but that wan't necessary here.

By deleting the value, and getting the CD-ROM recognized, I was able to Repair and Detect the problem with Repair and Detect. This time it ran without the error messages, asked for a restart and I assume it works--it didn't tell me anything needed repairing--I'm not sure if it is supposed to. I couldn't find an Event Viewer entry that would confirm anything fixed--and don't know that there should be.

SMBP