Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Error Starting with Win 98

My son's computer - a Compaq Deskpro pentium II consistently on start up does the following................begins to boot up, windows 98 screen comes up and then the screen goes black with the cursor in the left upper screen and then in says "it is safe to shut down the computer". If the computer is shut down, it reboots giving the option of safe mode. If Normal is picked the same thing happens. If safe mode is picked, the HD is visible, programs open, Device Manager shows no issues and scan disk show's no problems. The only thing thing that doesn't load is network neighborhood. When I go into My Computer, the rest of the network doesn't show. I've run to the end of my bag of tricks.

What should I look at next?

Thanks,
    Leesha

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Error Starting with Win 98

Have you tried {scanreg /restore} from Dos? It will allow you to go back in time. Possibly before you started having the problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi!

Thanks for the post. I went to do this in dos (still in safe mode as I can't get past that). When I go to run the dos command I get an error that I can't run this from windows, to shut down and go to dos. For the life of me I can't remember how to do that!!! DA.........................My computers have been running pretty smoothly and are all in XP prof or XP home with only this one in Win98, due to its age and bios and not wanting to put any $$$$ into upgrading it further.

Thanks,
    Leesah

Banned Member
    Thanks

To get to DOS reboot and press the F8 key.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi!!

Just wanted to get back to you and let you know I tried your suggestion of scanreg/restore and it worked like a charm!! I'll have to add it to my bag of tricks. My 8 year old is thrilled!!!

Thanks again,
    Leesha

Banned Member
    Thanks

Glad I could help.