Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6.0 Installation (6.0)

Because of the problems I am having with my currently installed 5.50 on Windows 98, I want to install IE 6.0. But I want to know if I can simply install it directly over 5.50. Everything I read says it's no problem. My concern is 1) Will it wipe out my extensive Favorites list? and more importantly 2) Will it alter my related Outlook Express file? I have hundreds of important work-related emails on file, plus an extensive address book. I have a huge fear that if I install this new 6.0 everything will be erased. Can any of you assure me this won't happen?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: IE 6.0 Installation (6.0)

Let me put it this way. I have upgraded IE several times { including to IE 6.0} and never lost anything. All it is "Supposed" to do is Upgrade the version you already have. But you are working with a machine and there is no way anyone can assure you that there will be no problems. I suggest if your that concerned, to backup everything that you are concerned about just in case. But as I said, I have never lost anything upgrading to the newer versions of IE.

Thanks

As Cowboy said, it's a safe bet to install without losing anything. Go for it.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK guys, thanks very much. I'm gonna let 'er rip!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Ptprism--

If your're updating to IE6SP1 don't forget to also update Outlook Express with its separate SP1 not contained in IE6SP1
    331923: Outlook Express 6 SP1 after you download IE6SP1 and
    330994:Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express 6

Nothing replaces a good backup, but as to your favorites, there are quick ways to backup Favorites and ways to recover:
    Recovering Favorties Lounge Thread
    Backing Up Favorites

SMBP

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you and everybody that responded. I will make sure they all get installed. I tried something first--that is, installed it over the 5.50 on my "back-up" computer and it worked like a charm. No problems and no loss of information. I will install all of these others also--on BOTH computers.

Thanks again.